Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Well a few months ago Airport cards were upgraded to a 128-bit encryption. I never heard of EAP but it might be a CISCO only feature.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
128 bit encryption

I know the cards were upgraded to 128 bit encryption, but as far as I know, the bas stations aren't yet. Doesn't the base also have to be 128 bit encryption for the it to work?

I figured it was a sign towards imminent release of airport2, but it certainly hasn't happened yet.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
i think airport 2 will be 57Mbps.. back compatible with 11Mbps.. (802.11a) rather than the current 802.11b standards...

this has already been done, but it is still scarce...

the thing about the 128-bit encryption is that it didn't hold up.. there are ways to crack the 128 bit WEP in 15 minutes.. (and that's with a PC. mac is no doubt faster at decoding the incoming packets)

EAP is used to encrypt not the data from the CARD by MAC address, but the data from the user using the card.. that way if the card/laptop is stolen.. it is still not a way to get on the WLAN. .

however.. this is still not the top in wireless security.. there are even better ways.. sincethis EAP can still be hacked by retreiving packets that pass by and finding the common WEP being used, it is still vulnerable.. although if the user logs off.. the WEP is unusable, and the hacker will have to wait and find another unsuspecting wi-user..

the better way I read about uses a new WEP key every 3 seconds! this totally elimanates the ease of hacking the data since it changes so often..

zdnet has good info on this... I STILL BAN CNET for the OS deathmatch crap!

STILL UNANSWERED.. will airport 1.4 and the rev. C 128 bit airport cards work on EAP?? anyone know?

(now is a time for the know-it-all's to step up.....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
eap and weed

go to http://www.experts-exchange.com and sign up (it's free like macrumors), go to the mac hardware section, and ask your question and make it to attention of "weed"...he or she is the best mac guru i have met online

good luck and i hope this helps

weed has never failed to get me out of mac related jams and i am sure quite a few posters know weed

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
no free???

i am trying to sign up for the free trial, but man. i can't get it to let me do it... stinks this site is not free.. looks pretty good

mikedman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2001
802.11a and b

802.11a is not compatible with 802.11b.

Airport (11.b) uses the 2.4ghz spectrum.

The new 11.a radios (proxim is the first I've seen) use 5ghz spectrum.

It would be possible to create a card that used both but you would basicaly be putting 2 radios in one card.... it would be really expensive and wouldn't work very well because the seperate frequencys require different antenna lengths. You would end up with one that works well and another that hardly works at all. I don't think apple would buy into that.

Apple will probably wait until one of the many other 802.11x protocols is finnished, if they want backwards compatability it will have to be in the 2.4ghz band (802.11g)

here is a link
http://content.techweb.com/wire/story/OEG20011004S0119

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.