Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMax0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
I am pretty much a noob when it comes to home theatre systems. I want to expand my home theatre setup, If my TV only supports ARC and my receiver supports eARC. If I connect my apple tv 4k directly to the receiver and watch something on Netflix that is capable of pushing an Atmos stream with a Atmos speaker setup installed, would all the speakers play correctly? I suspect it would, seeing that I only send the video feed via the HDMI (ARC) to the TV but the audio is handled by the receiver and the audio doesn't need to travel to the TV . Am I correct?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
The point of ARC (and eARC) is to downstream the audio signal from one device to another. Most often, to send the audio from the TV (and other devices plugged into the tv) to the receiver.

If you have the ATV connected to the receiver, then the ATV is upstreaming to the receiver, and ARC doesn't even come into play. OTOH, if you wanted to plug your ATV into your TV and have it play through the receiver, then ARC would be necessary.

eARC works the same way as ARC, just enhanced - it can carry the newer audio formats (and some other features). I believe it's dependent on the devices as to which audio formats are supported. I've read that ARC is capable of atmos, but again, that may vary from device to device.

Reactions: Ignacio Russo

BlackMax0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
The point of ARC (and eARC) is to downstream the audio signal from one device to another. Most often, to send the audio from the TV (and other devices plugged into the tv) to the receiver.

If you have the ATV connected to the receiver, then the ATV is upstreaming to the receiver, and ARC doesn't even come into play. OTOH, if you wanted to plug your ATV into your TV and have it play through the receiver, then ARC would be necessary.

eARC works the same way as ARC, just enhanced - it can carry the newer audio formats (and some other features). I believe it's dependent on the devices as to which audio formats are supported. I've read that ARC is capable of atmos, but again, that may vary from device to device.
Thankyou for your response. So its pretty much as I suspected the atmos audio to all speakers will work as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.