Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
It's a screenshot from one of the Myst games. Uru if I remember right. I haven't played it in a while. But it ties into my next project after the 2011 MBP: installing Windows 10 on our 2013 MBP via BootCamp. So I can go online and play Uru again šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Reactions: TheShortTimer

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So I had some time to kill before the hockey game starts. I downloaded SuperDuper and was all set to hook up the MB and the MBP. But, the firewire I just got is an 800, and it turns out I need a 400 to 800. Back to Amazon :rolleyes:šŸ˜‚. Stay tuned, folks, we'll get there...eventually!

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Little factoid: while organizing my 'tech' drawer this morning, I found the Install Disk for Leopard 10.5.4 that originally came with the 2008 MBP. I was looking for it yesterday and was surprised I didn't find it with the others. It was hiding, tucked up/stuck to the back of the front of the drawer. Nice to know I still have it, as insurance.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Little factoid: while organizing my 'tech' drawer this morning, I found the Install Disk for Leopard 10.5.4 that originally came with the 2008 MBP. I was looking for it yesterday and was surprised I didn't find it with the others. It was hiding, tucked up/stuck to the back of the front of the drawer. Nice to know I still have it, as insurance.
One of the posters on MacRumors brought up an interesting fact: while reasonably durable CDs/DVDs are not considered to be of an "archival" quality. I had a few CDs/DVDs that stopped working just by lying around(not a single scratch on them). So it is probably wise to make a bootable USB from your Leopard Install Disk.

Reactions: robotica

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I am surprised it takes so much trouble reinstalling OS onto MBP2011. I have several late 2011 MBPs and options 2 and 3 always worked for me (see spoiler). Option 2 got me High Sierra, Option 3 - Lion. Hardware-wise early and late models should be identical. Internet connection is needed, of course.
Last time I did this was about 3 weeks ago.
Installing anything from 10.6.7/8 to 10.13 from properly made USB stick wasn't a problem either. For anything upwards of 10.7 I used dosdude's Mac OS X USB Drive Creator and appropriate OS installer that has its certificates fixed (search Apple or archive.org), for 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 - Disk Utility + selfmade 'hacked and extended', 10.6.7 based bootable disk image.

Restart your Mac.
Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations:

1. Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
2. Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS thatā€™s compatible with your Mac.
3. Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version thatā€™s still available.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Another suggestion, in case the internal drive is screwy - pop the lid of your MBP, remove the drive, connect it over some USB adapter to a Mac with older OS installed, the one that doesn't know anything about recovery partition, and wipe it clean. Simple erase will do. If you want, format it for FAT first, then back to HFS+. Reinstall the drive and try various methods I mentioned in my previous post.

ferko86

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Sweden
I think
Update: I checked the date in Terminal, it shows correct, albeit the wrong time zone. I restarted the MBP with the Snow Leopard install disc in the drive, it booted to Recovery and gave me no option to install. I did some research and reset the PRAM, and SMC and again restarted with the install discs in the drive. Again, it just wants to download Mavericks and install that way.

I'm going to see if I can restart in Safe Mode and if that lets me install from the disks, although since there's no OS, I doubt this will help. Nope. Straight to recovery.

I should add: there is a partition on the drive that is not erasable named OS X Base System.

Any other ideas? I'm going to see if I can still order a firewire to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and firewire. I used to have a firewire kicking around but can't locate it.

Any other ideas?

there is a partition on the drive that is not erasable named OS X Base System.
I think that is the old install, i had that behavior once with an old iMAC.

The solution was to enter the following code:
sudo tmutil disable

And then i was able to delete that partition.

Restart the MAC and run from the USB (i think you need to hold the C-button or the Shift-button) .

Reactions: robotica

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I think

there is a partition on the drive that is not erasable named OS X Base System.
I think that is the old install, i had that behavior once with an old iMAC.

The solution was to enter the following code:
sudo tmutil disable

And then i was able to delete that partition.

Restart the MAC and run from the USB (i think you need to hold the C-button or the Shift-button) .
"command not found" was the response I got.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
The tmutil command does not exist in Snow Leopard. If you use Snow Leopard's Disk Utility to erase a drive, it will erase everything.
1. But I can't get it to load the Snow Leopard Install screen. No matter what I try, it boots back to Recovery.

2. I tried cloning and after quite a while of writing files, I got an error message and it didn't complete. I looked at the log and it mentioned something about the Thunderbird files not being able to be copied. The 2008 MB is no longer in use for email. Should I just uninstall Thunderbird and try again?

or, do I move on to

3. Get an SATA-to-USB adapter and a new SSD for the MBP. Hook it up to my 2013 MBP and use the USB SuperDrive and the SL install disk to first format it, then install SL on it, then update SL to 10.6.8. via the internet. Then install the new SSD into the 2011 MBP.

Is this doable? I'm not well-versed in setting up a new hard drive, etc. I can't just switch out the old HD for the new SSD and work that way because I don't have the right SL OS disk to install onto it.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
3. Get an SATA-to-USB adapter and a new SSD for the MBP. Hook it up to my 2013 MBP and use the USB SuperDrive and the SL install disk to first format it, then install SL on it, then update SL to 10.6.8. via the internet. Then install the new SSD into the 2011 MBP.
You canā€™t use a 2013 MBP to install SL on the ā€œexternalā€ SSD because you canā€™t boot SL on it. Youā€™d have to use the 2008 MB for this. In fact, this is what Iā€™d try next.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
You canā€™t use a 2013 MBP to install SL on the ā€œexternalā€ SSD because you canā€™t boot SL on it. Youā€™d have to use the 2008 MB for this. In fact, this is what Iā€™d try next.
Gotcha. I am currently re-trying the cloning after having deleted Thunderbird. I've got time, so no biggie. If it doesn't work, I'll go the new SSD route.

Reactions: Amethyst1

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So I got the same error again, but there's something I want to try when I have time.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Hmmm...the 2011 MBP can support High Sierra. I have a High Sierra installer on the 2013 MBP that I used to created the bootable USB at the beginning of all this. Could I just use this to install on the new SSD via USB adapter, and bypass SL and SL updates altogether?

ETA: 'adapter'

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Hmmm...the 2011 MBP can support High Sierra.
If you're willing to go for an "unsupported" installation, you can go past High Sierra. I have Mojave on my 2011 13" MBP. With 8 GB RAM and an SSD, it's quite usable.

I have a High Sierra installer on the 2013 MBP that I used to created the bootable USB at the beginning of all this. Could I just use this to install on the new SSD via USB adapter, and bypass SL and SL updates altogether?
That shouldā„¢ work in theory.

However, if the 2011 MBP wasn't running High Sierra before you bought it, it will need a firmware update to enable booting from APFS volumes, which is the file system High Sierra defaults to for SSDs. Running the High Sierra installer on the 2011 MBP itself ensures that firmware update is applied (mine also needed it). Thinking about it, if your MBP does not already have that firmware update, this may explain why installing High Sierra via USB has been failing. Maybe it formats the drive as APFS and falls over because the MBP can't yet boot from APFS?

Last edited:

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
If you're willing to go for an "unsupported" installation, you can go past High Sierra. I have Mojave on my 2011 13" MBP. With 8 GB RAM and an SSD, it's quite usable.

However, if the 2011 MBP wasn't running High Sierra before you bought it, it will need a firmware update to enable booting from APFS volumes, which is the file system High Sierra defaults to for SSDs. Running the High Sierra installer on the 2011 MBP itself ensures that firmware update is applied (mine also needed it). Thinking about it, if your MBP does not already have that firmware update, this may explain why installing High Sierra via USB has been failing. Maybe it formats the drive as APFS and falls over because the MBP can't yet boot from APFS?
1. Hmmm...I DID really like Mojave...

2. Ah...something more to research. Although, it wouldn't boot from the Yosemite USB either, so that may not be the problem.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Update: After deleting Thunderbird from Apps, I ran SuperDuper again. Same problem, same file. This morning I went back into SuperDuper's logs, and deleted the whole offending Thunderbird file. BUT I didn't empty the trash. And ran SuperDuper again. Began thinking "hmmm...watch it have the same problem again because I didn't empty the trash". Sure enough, there it was, same file issue, new location. :rolleyes:šŸ˜‚

Emptied the trash. Running SuperDuper again. Further update in a couple hours šŸ•™

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC

So after researching firmware updates, I won't be able to do the High Sierra install from the get-go. I'll either have to go the SL route via my 2008 MB, or maybe Yosemite via the 2013 MBP, which would be simpler.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The firmware being too old is my guess as well, although for High Sierra and APFS in this case the MacOS installer will actually not allow you to install to the APFS volume and will instead show a warning that your Mac needs a newer firmware and cannot install onto APFS.

Get the Mountain Lion installer from the website, then create a USB thumbdrive installer from it. The Mac's firmware will be able to boot Mountain Lion. From within Mountain Lion you can then use the app store to download High Sierra and then upgrade directly to High Sierra.

That upgrade will ensure the firmware will be updated to the latest one for that Mac. Make sure the power adapter is plugged in the entire time, otherwise firmware upgrades might not install. Needs to be an upgrade from within OSX, clean installs via USB don't apply new firmware.

After the upgrade is complete, you can then create a High Sierra USB installer and wipe the Mac again to make sure you start fresh with no upgrade-introduced bugs. You could also install Catalina which should work on that Mac: http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

This model can also run Monterey: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/ However there is an issue on this model that requires SIP and secure boot to be disabled. So that installation is a bit more involved. If you don't need a modern OS that runs the latest software and is reasonably well patched against security flaws, i.e. if it's just for some Youtube on the couch, then Catalina and High Sierra are fine.

Your Mac's issue could also be a defective logic board, which wouldn't be all that surprising after 10+ years. There are series defects discovered in a bunch of chips that kill even newer Macs from 2015 and 2016 that aren't even that old.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
The firmware being too old is my guess as well, although for High Sierra and APFS in this case the MacOS installer will actually not allow you to install to the APFS volume and will instead show a warning that your Mac needs a newer firmware and cannot install onto APFS.

Get the Mountain Lion installer from the website, then create a USB thumbdrive installer from it. The Mac's firmware will be able to boot Mountain Lion. From within Mountain Lion you can then use the app store to download High Sierra and then upgrade directly to High Sierra.

That upgrade will ensure the firmware will be updated to the latest one for that Mac. Make sure the power adapter is plugged in the entire time, otherwise firmware upgrades might not install. Needs to be an upgrade from within OSX, clean installs via USB don't apply new firmware.

After the upgrade is complete, you can then create a High Sierra USB installer and wipe the Mac again to make sure you start fresh with no upgrade-introduced bugs. You could also install Catalina which should work on that Mac: http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

This model can also run Monterey: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/ However there is an issue on this model that requires SIP and secure boot to be disabled. So that installation is a bit more involved. If you don't need a modern OS that runs the latest software and is reasonably well patched against security flaws, i.e. if it's just for some Youtube on the couch, then Catalina and High Sierra are fine.

Your Mac's issue could also be a defective logic board, which wouldn't be all that surprising after 10+ years. There are series defects discovered in a bunch of chips that kill even newer Macs from 2015 and 2016 that aren't even that old.
Hmmm...I tried this with a bootable Yosemite USB and it didn't work. Don't know that it would be different with Mountain Lion. Also, when I tried to log into the App Store originally, it wouldn't recognize my user id. It's not imperative to me that it be running a recent OS X: I plan to use it as a DVD player, which is why I bought this one: one of the last models with a built-in optical drive.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The 15ā€ and 17ā€ 2011 MBPs are in fact known for defective AMD dGPUs, which the 13ā€ model lacks.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So when I saw this, I got hopeful: SuperDuper Result.jpg

And when I selected the right start-up drive, I got this:
Et voila!.jpg

MANY, MANY thanks to all who participated in this journey. It's been quite a ride, and I have learned a lot, most of all, that there are still kind people out there. Second, of course, is backup before you do anything šŸ¤£

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.