Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
The percentage in that bar under Design Capacity is simply the ratio of Full Charge Capacity over Design Capacity, so it will move every time either one of those fields changes.

And yes, it’s pretty normal for the Full Charge Capacity to move around a bit since the gas gauge is constantly re-evaluating how much charge it thinks the battery can deliver.
Thanks, but the Design Capacity that's gone down 2% doesn't fluctuate I assume, as it's been that figure since fitted couple weeks ago, Is that quite quick for 2%

Reactions: Needleroozer

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
Like me, pretty much...

I just love the older version of ports, and the fact I don't have to upgrade Word or Photoshop etc because it's a lot more than just buying a new MBP. It's a whole load of software all over again too.

'Great shape' is a bit of a stretch. Surely not that rare for people keeping them and Frankensteining them?
House, dog, car, marriage, I won't ask which one is the painful one. Man it's 11, nearly 12. Is that so old now?
I just bought an iPad Air thinking it would fill the void for new tech. I won't tell you what iPhone I"m on at the moment then.. :cool:
well, now we GOTTA know which iPhone you’re rockin’! I saw somebody with a 4 or 4S in the grocery store vestibule.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
Thanks, but the Design Capacity that's gone down 2% doesn't fluctuate I assume, as it's been that figure since fitted couple weeks ago, Is that quite quick for 2%

Correct, Design Capacity shouldn’t change unless you have a really confused battery (I once had one decide that it was rated for 65535mAh out of the blue, which it most assuredly was not...).

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
Finally, a few years ago when replacing drive, I replaced the 4GB RAM to 8. Will 16 give this a noticeable difference or not worth it unless there are several things at once open. For example, Does that extra lump stop the fan from coming on every time you play YouTube or other video?
i own both a 2015 Retina MBP with 8GB of ram, and a 2012 13" MBP with 16GB of ram. it won't make a difference for day to day stuff unless you open like 100 tabs. it helps if you for example run VM's, edit video etc. but for day to day stuff not worth it.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
well, now we GOTTA know which iPhone you’re rockin’! I saw somebody with a 4 or 4S in the grocery store vestibule.
It's an '8' and it goes from 45% to 20% to 2% in about 10 minutes. I rock! The battery replacement videos look terrifying to me, to be fair.

Correct, Design Capacity shouldn’t change unless you have a really confused battery (I once had one decide that it was rated for 65535mAh out of the blue, which it most assuredly was not...).
Thanks, The fact it went to 2% lower overnight makes me think this battery isn't long for this world, but at the moment, it's a HUGE improvement on previous!

i own both a 2015 Retina MBP with 8GB of ram, and a 2012 13" MBP with 16GB of ram. it won't make a difference for day to day stuff unless you open like 100 tabs. it helps if you for example run VM's, edit video etc. but for day to day stuff not worth it.
Thank you, I figured it may not be worth the extra cost. Its mainly web, Word and Emails for the most part, with Photoshop as well, The video stuff, YouTube etc brings the annoying fans on, but then it always did.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
So this was a test on a new charger as the Apple one is falling apart, and both claim to be 60w chargers, Apple one is charging at 30w, and other at just over 4w. Is that just down to the 4w being a 3rd party product and not very good charger. Had a lot of decent reviews compared to others. These readings are within minutes of each other. Or maybe slower and lesser is a better charge?

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
So this was a test on a new charger as the Apple one is falling apart, and both claim to be 60w chargers, Apple one is charging at 30w, and other at just over 4w. Is that just down to the 4w being a 3rd party product and not very good charger. Had a lot of decent reviews compared to others. These readings are within minutes of each other. Or maybe slower and lesser is a better charge?

Charging at a slower rate is theoretically better for the battery since it results in less internal heating, but a 13” MacBook should be able to charge at at least 45W when its battery is that discharged.
Some laptops charge slowly at first and then speed up after a bit, but MagSafe doesn’t have much laptop-to-charger signaling as far as I am aware; the main communication is to turn on the indicator LED and read the charger data. After that, I think that the laptop just accepts whatever current the charger can supply.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Charging at a slower rate is theoretically better for the battery since it results in less internal heating, but a 13” MacBook should be able to charge at at least 45W when its battery is that discharged.
Some laptops charge slowly at first and then speed up after a bit, but MagSafe doesn’t have much laptop-to-charger signaling as far as I am aware; the main communication is to turn on the indicator LED and read the charger data. After that, I think that the laptop just accepts whatever current the charger can supply.
Thanks, so shouldn't really chuck that charger back at them then. I mean the Apple one does drop a bit, but nothing like the single digits the 3rd party Amazon one does. 4w is barely there in comparison

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The pre Force Touch trackpads are more like a diving board - there's a hinge at the top, and they flex easier the further you get away from that.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
The pre Force Touch trackpads are more like a diving board - there's a hinge at the top, and they flex easier the further you get away from that.
Thanks, that sums it up perfectly actually, exactly what it feels like

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
UPDATE: I think, despite not being fitted till now, the battery's shelf life may have played a part, but the design capacity which kicked of at 90 is taking a percentage hit every other day, and I imagine new fitted batteries don't usually do this.

Having said that, I would expect to charge this at least once a day anyway though.

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
UPDATE: I think, despite not being fitted till now, the battery's shelf life may have played a part, but the design capacity which kicked of at 90 is taking a percentage hit every other day, and I imagine new fitted batteries don't usually do this.

Having said that, I would expect to charge this at least once a day anyway though.

Your design capacity has remained unchanged; it’s still 5770mAh.

It is disconcerting that the “Full Charge Capacity” is decreasing so quickly, but that percentage slider is indicating the ratio of “Full Charge Capacity” over “Design Capacity” - and so it is decreasing due to the decrease that the gas gauge is calculating in your “Full Charge Capacity.”

From my experience with letting batteries sit (way too long) on the shelf, they tend either to work just fine once they charge up or to have shut themselves off completely due to over-discharging their cells.

Your battery does seem to be anomalously unhappy, but if it’s still powering your computer long enough to work for you, then...

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Your design capacity has remained unchanged; it’s still 5770mAh.

It is disconcerting that the “Full Charge Capacity” is decreasing so quickly, but that percentage slider is indicating the ratio of “Full Charge Capacity” over “Design Capacity” - and so it is decreasing due to the decrease that the gas gauge is calculating in your “Full Charge Capacity.”

From my experience with letting batteries sit (way too long) on the shelf, they tend either to work just fine once they charge up or to have shut themselves off completely due to over-discharging their cells.

Your battery does seem to be anomalously unhappy, but if it’s still powering your computer long enough to work for you, then...

Thanks for your reply. I thought the 'Full Charge Capacity' was just related to the figure above that says '5049'. I didn't realise that degrading green line related to the 'Full Charge Capacity' as well, And yes that figure is going down regularly too. Plus, the added cycle on every charge going up with every plug-in, even when not a whole cycle.
Assume the the Design Capacity '5770' is standard, as was the same figure on my old knackered battery,

Like you say, it owes me little. If it was new....

Reactions: Needleroozer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.