Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

My dad has an Early 2011 MBP. He's been out of the country recently so hadn't used the machine in six weeks, but when he plugged it in yesterday there was no light on the charger plug. He brought it around to my place where I confirmed the same issue.

I hit the Power button and it turned on ("I didn't think to try that; I figured it would be completely flat by now") but the fans ran at full speed and it came up with a screen that I've never seen before: A white Apple logo on a black background with ~15 small rectangles at the bottom of the screen. After a minute or so nothing had happened so I held Power to force it off, then turned it on again. This time it booted up into the OS, but with the fans still running at full speed, and no light on the charger.

The first thing I noticed is that the battery meter wasn't present on the menu bar. I went into Sys Prefs which reported 0% charge, and turned the menu bar option on... only for it to turn itself back off again a second later.

At this point I shut the machine down, disconnected the charger, and held Shift-Ctrl-Opt-Power for 15 seconds to reset the SMC. That seems to have killed it; now it doesn't power on at all.

Just to see what would happen, I removed the battery and tried to power it on, but no luck (a couple of Google hits indicate that it should run at reduced performance without the battery).

My own MBP's charger has a different plug and I don't know anyone else with one. Any ideas on what to try next?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.