Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComfyMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Hello everyone.

Several months ago I built a gaming PC and connected it to an Acer XF270HUA monitor.

It's stunning: 1440p, 144Hz, 4ms, IPS, FreeSync, thin bezels. I like it.
I like it so much that I wanna connect my MacBook Pro to it when I'm not gaming and simply use it as my main monitor.

But I wonder if I'll be able to run it at 144Hz considering my MBP is a 15" model from early 2013? (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669?locale=en_US)

According to the specs, the max output via HDMI is only 1920x1200, so I'll have to use Mini DisplayPort.
This supports up to 2560x1600, so hitting 1440p won't be an issue. But I can't find anything conclusive regarding refresh rates?

Also, the monitor has only 1 DisplayPort port, which is already being used for my PC, so I'm inclined to choose a MDP to HDMI cable. That way I'd save myself the hassle of always having to swap cables depending on which computer I wanna use, as well as potentially wearing down the ports and cables from doing so.

So, which cable/brand would you recommend for this setup if 144Hz is doable, and which one if I'll have to resort to 60Hz?

Thanks in advance :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.