Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick&Joe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Hi All..

I replaced a bunch of parts in my Early 2013, 15inch Retina, Macbook Pro 2.7g i7

Keyboard was replaced with an, alleged, US keyboard i got on Ebay some months ago..it feels like a very nice quality board--

I also replaced thet rackpad, bigger SSD and battery..work all went well..total teardown

Machine fired up fine and i soon realized that i was in a different Keyboard format..characters were weird..letters fine

See attached pics--Lowercase version and then a pic with with Shift engaged in the Keyboard viewer..

I think this is a Japanese keyboard..

The thing is...my computer will sometimes shift into standard US keyboard format and be just fine for a few hours...Sleep it, or whatever, and Im back in this format...

Ive gone into Keyboard prefs and messed about...doesnt change anything..the only thing that changes it back to US is...i have no clue, i haven:t been able to correlate it with any real action..maybe sleep, but not always..

Im typing this post using minimal punctuation because that:s where all the goofiness is...type an apostrophe, i get a colon
Asian Keyboard.jpg
Asian Screen Caps.jpeg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is the physical keyboard Japanese too? Does it have the 英数 or かな keys, or is it physically a US keyboard? If you're unsure, please post a photo.

Nick&Joe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Hi Nermal,,,
It’s a standard looking qwerty keyboard..looks exactly like the stock board pretty much..English letters, punctuation and symbols

Last edited:

Nick&Joe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
This is driving me nuts..tried deleting a bunch of different prefs and rebooting, restting PRAM, read some stuff about High Sierra having a bug in keyboard languages, also rebooted from the clone from my system made before installing new keyboard..Checked for stuck keys..seems fine.

At first, i could get the keyboard to stay in US mode for a bit..then it would shift back to this Asian setup

Now I can:t get it to go to US at all..Im starting to think that it actually is the keyboard itself..OR Im just doing something wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.