Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I am using the 30w power adapter currently sold (not the original 29w). Also, second generation Apple HDMI adapter. If I remember correctly, the second one allows 60MHz 4K while the first one 30w only. Maybe the original sold adapter works…

What model number does your adapter say? Really small print on the adapter.

Interesting, I talked with Apple and they told me that the adapter will not work with power attached on the 2015 MacBook when I inquired.

It works with yours?!?

The adapter I am currently using is the second gen A2119. Originally I had the first gen adapter however I thought I was going to get a 4k monitor so I bought the 2nd gen about a year ago to future proof myself for 4k output on my 2017 MacBook.

I also have a base 2015 MacBook which also works no problem with both the first gen and second gen adapter with power and HDMI output to a monitor.

I bought the first gen Apple adapter from the Apple Store on advice from the staff at the store when I asked how I could output to HDMI and charge from the single port.

I am finding it hard to believe both my 2015 and 2017 can work with the adapter and power supply without the issues you describe. I would visit the Apple Store again and speak to someone else if you can.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The adapter I am currently using is the second gen A2119. Originally I had the first gen adapter however I thought I was going to get a 4k monitor so I bought the 2nd gen about a year ago to future proof myself for 4k output on my 2017 MacBook.

I also have a base 2015 MacBook which also works no problem with both the first gen and second gen adapter with power and HDMI output to a monitor.

I bought the first gen Apple adapter from the Apple Store on advice from the staff at the store when I asked how I could output to HDMI and charge from the single port.

I am finding it hard to believe both my 2015 and 2017 can work with the adapter and power supply without the issues you describe. I would visit the Apple Store again and speak to someone else if you can.
Thanks for the info. I guess it just depends at Apple who you talk too. As the “Geniuses” aren’t so much a genius..

Looks like it is my Macbook that has issues. If I known before, I might have been able to fix it, but Macbook is a 2015 model, so now eight years old as of this writing… :(

It works fine when plugged into my Apple 24” LG UltraFine monitor: powers, hub ports on monitor work etc., but when I use the adapter and plug into another monitor, the screen flickers or fuzzes. This also happens when using the Sabrent hub I also bought at Apple when the power is plugged into it.

I guess it is my MacBook that has issues.. :(

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I love the 12" MacBook for its extreme portability, I currently go back and forth between a 2017 i7 and a M1 16" MBP. I have tried to see if I can be productive with an iPad Pro and keyboard but that is just a joke. I hope Apple will come with a 12" ultra portable again like this. I can even drive a 32" curved display with it.
I just helped a friend with replacing the battery in his 2015 12" from Ifixit. Worked really well.

Reactions: loby and JiggyJaggy

pi6xjdskfa

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I recently used my 2015 Macbook and forgot how light it is compared to macbook pro 14 (2021). really miss the portability and was thinking of getting battery replaced due to "service battery" warning. However, after a clean install it seems to be super slow just even opening up web pages on safari even when plugged into power adapter. could it be really much slower due to bad battery or was the core m that bad.

due to back pain issues i really want to get something as light as this (2 pounds) and considering a 2017 model with 16gb ram and 512gb for travelling. Is the 2017 acceptably way faster than 2015 model with 8gb?

Anyone know if Lightroom or Capture One can run on this OS(Big SUR) and is it too slow to process 50 megapixel files?

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I recently used my 2015 Macbook and forgot how light it is compared to macbook pro 14 (2021). really miss the portability and was thinking of getting battery replaced due to "service battery" warning. However, after a clean install it seems to be super slow just even opening up web pages on safari even when plugged into power adapter. could it be really much slower due to bad battery or was the core m that bad.

due to back pain issues i really want to get something as light as this (2 pounds) and considering a 2017 model with 16gb ram and 512gb for travelling. Is the 2017 acceptably way faster than 2015 model with 8gb?

Anyone know if Lightroom or Capture One can run on this OS(Big SUR) and is it too slow to process 50 megapixel files?
I’ve got the 2017 but with 8gb of ram. It’s no longer a speedy computer, but if you keep things fairly light, it’s useable. Though heavier, I think the M2 Air is a much better choice.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I have a 2017 base model (m3/8GB/256GB) with Big Sur and runs very well. Never a fan of the performance with Monterrey and Ventura

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.