Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj92100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
NJ
Hey everyone, this is my first post, and unfortunately it's not about anything good. I got my Early 2015 MacBook Pro at the end of 2015, and within the past few weeks it's been locking up. It's happened about 5 times in total, 2 of them today (5/11/16) within 10 minutes of each other. As an example, if I'm scrolling through a website (using Safari) it simply stops. Can't move the mouse or anything. If I'm listening to music (on Youtube, using Safari) it will continue to play. For a short time, I will be able to click to no avail on the screen, but after about 20 seconds it'll stop giving feedback. Keep in mind it's a force touch trackpad. The green light will come on when pressing the caps lock key. The only way to fix it is to force shutdown. I get a vague error message on restart, which I attached a picture of. I'm running the latest version of El Cap, and the MacBook was bought from an Apple store. I don't want to reinstall OS X if I don't have to because I have the 128GB model and no other way of backing it up. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 220

pancakesrockyvalley

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Reykjavik
Open up the console application. It is in the other category in Launchpad. When your computer freezes take down the exact time it happens, turn it off and turn it on back again, open console find the time and then you can see what might have been the cause of the problem.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
There is a problem with Safari 9.1 and El Capitan 10.11.4. Check out (currently 19 pages and growing daily):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...l-capitan-10-11-4-system-wide-freeze.1963711/

You might want to try a different browser and see if that makes a difference. Some people are saying the latest 10.11.5 beta is better, there's also a Safari Technology Preview as well. Some people are downgrading to 10.11.3, which doesn't sound like it's an option for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.