Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
chiiyo said:
What I'm really interested in is the extent Aperture works with formats other than RAW. I understand that I'm not the target audience for Aperture, but I absolutely would not switch to digital anytime soon (I love my Nikon FM2 far too much), and I'm excited about using Aperture for dealing with my scanned-in images, which would most likely be big-ass TIFFs or even JPGs from a Coolscan. The one thing I'm worried about is that the tools like Levels and Exposure might be intricately linked to the RAW format, which makes Aperture a lot less useful than I thought it would be. Also, I hope that all the tools availble to RAW formats would be open to all other formats Aperture seems to support, or I'd be very disappointed (but granted, I'm really not part of the target consumer base here, just a dedicated hard-core film hobbyist).

There is a strange absence of educational pricing in the Singapore store. I thought there wasn't going to be edu pricing because of the pro-level targeting but apparently there is edu pricing in America. *sigh*

No, the ability to use tools is not restricted to RAW files. On the Powerbooks they were using jpegs to demonstrate the App and all of the functions were in use. One of the reps that was showing me around the program commented that she had been using it with scanned input. They are pushing the RAW angle because that has been such a huge issue for pro photographers, but that the RAW capability is, in no way, a limitation.

JT

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
chiiyo said:
What I'm really interested in is the extent Aperture works with formats other than RAW. I understand that I'm not the target audience for Aperture, but I absolutely would not switch to digital anytime soon (I love my Nikon FM2 far too much), and I'm excited about using Aperture for dealing with my scanned-in images, which would most likely be big-ass TIFFs or even JPGs from a Coolscan. The one thing I'm worried about is that the tools like Levels and Exposure might be intricately linked to the RAW format, which makes Aperture a lot less useful than I thought it would be. Also, I hope that all the tools availble to RAW formats would be open to all other formats Aperture seems to support, or I'd be very disappointed (but granted, I'm really not part of the target consumer base here, just a dedicated hard-core film hobbyist).

There is a strange absence of educational pricing in the Singapore store. I thought there wasn't going to be edu pricing because of the pro-level targeting but apparently there is edu pricing in America. *sigh*

I would think that it would also support the Coolscan and the NEF RAW format.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Chip NoVaMac said:
I would think that it would also support the Coolscan and the NEF RAW format.

All of the demos performed on the Quad G5s were using Nikon NEF files from the D2x at 20 MB per shot.

Jil

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
for those of us in graphic design this may be just another tool at our disposal. I may check this app out in the next few weeks.

chiiyo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Singapore
bikertwin said:
That is, believe it or not, a different NEF format than the NEF format for digital cameras.

o_O. Oh dear. Given that, do you still think Aperture would support it?

I'm glad for the information about the scanner, do you know whether all Coolscans can save in this NEF RAW format? A friend and I are saving up to get the Coolscan V ED within the next month and if Aperture supports the NEF RAW I should start saving all my digital negs in that format now.

*small voice* Any idea whether PS:CS supports this format?

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
I was referring to the Coolscan scanners being able to save in the NEF format.
Out of curiosity, I've never used the NEF format on my SCS 4000 because I always had trouble opening the files inside PS. How have you managed this?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
CalfCanuck said:
Out of curiosity, I've never used the NEF format on my SCS 4000 because I always had trouble opening the files inside PS. How have you managed this?

I only tested out the LS-IV for a couple of weeks. Never got too much into doing PS after the scans. I did take note that it had the NEF format and would open under Capture.

Lets hope that Apple decides to add Coolscan NEF support. Thought the Coolscan NEF was different from the DSLR format.

workphoto.net

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
Tampa
iGary said:
I have a 100,000 image library sitting in front of me right now.

I suppose I will still need Portfolio. :rolleyes:

i didnt quite say it was impossible for cameras to be capable of taking more than 10,00 images or computer unable to hold that many, i was basically saying that most pros don't shoot more than 10,000 shots in a single shoot, i can understand long ongoing projects though, actually i dont see aperture's set up as even being a limitation for just about anybody if you go over 10k im sure a new catalog(project) would be created. my only actual problem with the program is that most likely it wont work on a 12" apple laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.