Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samelot628

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Like many of you surely do, I wake up to the "Early riser" sleep alarm clock chime. You know the one, it goes "da-Da da-Da da-Da.. bing bing bing... laLalaLA!" You can find it here
. This morning I thought it needs some lowkey lyrics. Uncreatively, "Wake up, wake up, wake up, ... you lazy sod!". But surely someone will do much better. Any takers?

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
The greatest ringtone of all time! Yes, ringtone. I made Early Riser my ringtone and right away I realized how harsh the default ringtones were on my cardiovascular system, every call would feel like someone threw dry ice into my face.
I love early riser as a ringtone i highly recommend everyone use it.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Like many of you surely do, I wake up to the "Early riser" sleep alarm clock chime. You know the one, it goes "da-Da da-Da da-Da.. bing bing bing... laLalaLA!" You can find it here
. This morning I thought it needs some lowkey lyrics. Uncreatively, "Wake up, wake up, wake up, ... you lazy sod!". But surely someone will do much better. Any takers?
Oh Early Riser I could actually use to fall into a deep rem sleep...it's nice.

However, unfortunately only this one has me scrambling to turn it off asap and keep my job ;)

Edit: Admitadly, it's even more horrible listening to during waking hours.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Very nice. Unfortunately, all it's likely to do is lull me back into deeper sleep. ;)

I straddle the middle ground between a ring tone that will wake me up but will NOT wake up or otherwise disturb my wife. I found that tone several years back and that's what I use.

If my ringtone wakes my wife and not me. it will be very bad for me. :D

Otherwise, I'd be using 'Red Alert' to wake up. A nuclear bomb could go off next to me and I'd never hear it. Only three things will wake me. An annoying alarm, my dad yelling my name or hearing an alarm that could wake my wife up.

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
No background birds singing like Samsung ones ? 🤣

Reactions: compwiz1202

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
For the past couple of months, I have been waking up 10~20mins before the alarm, I think my brain automatically set itself to avoid my dreaded alarm sounding off lol 🤣 but worried to turn it off in case I oversleep (I wake up at 6 am every day)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For the past couple of months, I have been waking up 10~20mins before the alarm, I think my brain automatically set itself to avoid my dreaded alarm sounding off lol 🤣 but worried to turn it off in case I oversleep (I wake up at 6 am every day)
I have consistently done that for decades (waking up before the alarm). I just set mine because sometimes I'll roll over and go back to sleep and the alarm becomes necessary.

As to why…I read recently that our body learns our sleep patterns over time and in order to avoid a jarring awake (a shock to the nervous system) our brains will produce a chemical (PER) that brings us fully awake before the alarm goes off.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
As to why…I read recently that our body learns our sleep patterns over time and in order to avoid a jarring awake (a shock to the nervous system) our brains will produce a chemical (PER) that brings us fully awake before the alarm goes off.
Interesting! I still reckon using Early Riser would actually drive me into a much heavier, contraindicated sleep {coma} 🥱

Reactions: eyoungren

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I have consistently done that for decades (waking up before the alarm). I just set mine because sometimes I'll roll over and go back to sleep and the alarm becomes necessary.

You are quite right, our brain does learn our sleep pattern for the reason you have explained, and thankfully I feel fully energised, and straight away I start exercising for an hour before a light breakfast and start my work.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You are quite right, our brain does learn our sleep pattern for the reason you have explained, and thankfully I feel fully energised, and straight away I start exercising for an hour before a light breakfast and start my work.
I'm going to need more PER for that. :D

• Haha
Reactions: rain111

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
Interesting! I still reckon using Early Riser would actually drive me into a much heavier, contraindicated sleep {coma} 🥱
depending on what time you go to bed, I'll be in bed by 10 pm, and I do little light reading by 10:30 pm I'll be sleeping, that has been mostly my routine for many years, give your body a minimum of 7hrs of sleep.

Edit: obviously this is on weekdays, and at weekends I stray up a little late, however, I still keep at least 7hrs of sleep, go to bed around 12 am, and am up by 8 am.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
depending on what time you go to bed, I'll be in bed by 10 pm, and I do little light reading by 10:30 pm I'll be sleeping, that has been mostly my routine for many years, give your body a minimum of 7hrs of sleep.
I'm in bed between 8:30 and 9pm. Like you, I read a bit and usually fall asleep between 9:30 and 11pm (usually 10). But I'm up by 4:15am to make coffee for my wife (delivered at 4:45am). She's out the door by 6:30 or so and I leave to take my kid to school by 7:35am.

My actual work day starts at 9am and goes to 5pm (I work from home).

So, all total, about 4-6 hours of sleep, depending. I sleep in on the weekends. Not great, but I'm one of those persons that once I am up, I am up. Short of being sick or extremely tired I don't go back to bed until evening - my body just won't allow it.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020

Edit: obviously this is on weekdays, and at weekends I stray up a little late, however, I still keep at least 7hrs of sleep, go to bed around 12 am, and am up by 8 am.
Shift work has unfortunately paralyzed any healthy circadian rhythm. But yer sleep is sooo important.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I'm in bed between 8:30 and 9pm. Like you, I read a bit and usually fall asleep between 9:30 and 11pm (usually 10). But I'm up by 4:15am to make coffee for my wife (delivered at 4:45am). She's out the door by 6:30 or so and I leave to take my kid to school by 7:35am.

My actual work day starts at 9am and goes to 5pm (I work from home).

So, all total, about 4-6 hours of sleep, depending. I sleep in on the weekends. Not great, but I'm one of those persons that once I am up, I am up. Short of being sick or extremely tired I don't go back to bed until evening - my body just won't allow it.
I should also mention that both myself and my wife work from home, and our work start at 9 am and ends by 5 pm, but no kids as of yet.

But you seriously need to start having your 7hrs+ of sleep, at leat try too.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I should also mention that both myself and my wife work from home, and our work start at 9 am and ends by 5 pm, but no kids as of yet.

But you seriously need to start having your 7hrs+ of sleep, at leat try too.
As a teen I needed 10-12 hours of sleep. There was one time I went to bed on Friday night and didn't get up until noon Sunday. I'm immuno-compromised (Psoriasis since I was 5) so that's probably a large part of it. I'm also a night person. I function much better from 9pm to 5am.

That was fine in my 20s when I worked a physical night shift from 9pm to 1am and went to bed at 6 in the morning. I usually got 8 hours. But when I transitioned to professional white collar work (Graphic Designer) suddenly the fact that the world revolves around a day schedule intruded. Having kids who attend schools that operate during the morning and afternoon only added to that.

I've long since adapted, but my body still rebels against day schedules. Unfortunately, I can't change that as this world seems to revolve around working during the day and sleeping at night. Sigh. :(

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I am sure a lot of people find it hard to follow a schedule nowadays of any sort, but even trying to stick to something as close as possible, it'll help in the long run, it will take time to get used to it for sure, it took me a while to working from home and finding my pattern.

Before working from home, I would have to be up by 6 am, go to the gym, finish by 7 am, get back home and change and have some breakfast, and out again by 7:30 am and get to work around 8:30 / 9 am (taking train & bus to work) I live in London btw... so driving to work is not an option, then getting back home roughly by 6 pm.

However, now I'll get up at 7:30 am, gym until 8:30 am, back home, have breakfast and start work.

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
As a teen I needed 10-12 hours of sleep. There was one time I went to bed on Friday night and didn't get up until noon Sunday. I'm immuno-compromised (Psoriasis since I was 5) so that's probably a large part of it. I'm also a night person. I function much better from 9pm to 5am.

That was fine in my 20s when I worked a physical night shift from 9pm to 1am and went to bed at 6 in the morning. I usually got 8 hours. But when I transitioned to professional white collar work (Graphic Designer) suddenly the fact that the world revolves around a day schedule intruded. Having kids who attend schools that operate during the morning and afternoon only added to that.

I've long since adapted, but my body still rebels against day schedules. Unfortunately, I can't change that as this world seems to revolve around working during the day and sleeping at night. Sigh. :(
Thanks for sharing that.

I mainly work late shifts (8hr) for similar reasons. Any early shifts (0430 alarm) and I de-compensate in various, but predictable and consistent phases, during this. There's severe headaches (irrespective if having slept 2hrs or 8hrs), low-period w/out concentration, then a manic phase lol. Afterwards hyper-vigilance is key when driving home in peak hour. Forget the argument "hey, but you've still got the entire day free"! Nope..couching in a tired delirious state till the evening until the body reboots and becomes less "out-of-order".

Nightshift 2100-0600- What can I say! Used to be able to do 7-10 in a row once rhythm (anti-social) set in. But I'd have to wake as close to leaving for work as possible. As I got older, it became harder and harder to readjust into days, took longer and effectively negated the free days. Now I just do a couple per month. I mean, you're constantly fighting your endocrine system with this as cortisol floods your body in the mornings, no matter what the shift. So unhealthy. Ahh..the zombie dead time between 0230-0430 :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for sharing that.

I mainly work late shifts (8hr) for similar reasons. Any early shifts (0430 alarm) and I de-compensate in various, but predictable and consistent phases, during this. There's severe headaches (irrespective if having slept 2hrs or 8hrs), low-period w/out concentration, then a manic phase lol. Afterwards hyper-vigilance is key when driving home in peak hour. Forget the argument "hey, but you've still got the entire day free"! Nope..couching in a tired delirious state till the evening until the body reboots and becomes less "out-of-order".

Nightshift 2100-0600- What can I say! Used to be able to do 7-10 in a row once rhythm (anti-social) set in. But I'd have to wake as close to leaving for work as possible. As I got older, it became harder and harder to readjust into days, took longer and effectively negated the free days. Now I just do a couple per month. I mean, you're constantly fighting your endocrine system with this as cortisol floods your body in the mornings, no matter what the shift. So unhealthy. Ahh..the zombie dead time between 0230-0430 :)
I had a period of six months once where I was lucky to get about an hour of sleep each day. I was trying to finish up my AA degree in Graphic Design.

So home at the time was 45 minutes from work. My shift was 9pm to 1am. Now, this was UPS, so the shift varies, especially during Christmas. So, typically I was out at 4:30am. That meant being home around 5:15am. School was in the exact same city as work, 45 minutes away and it started at 7am. That mean leaving at 6:15am. So, 5:15am to 6:15am was my 'hour' of sleep.

There was a Carl's Jr on the way home that was open 24 hours. I got very good at eating a meal in the car as I drove home. I also came to depend on a liquid meal substitute called Resource. It's like Boost, but hospitals give it to patients recovering from surgery. At that time you could get it retail. Nestlé has it now and you can only order it online. Drink with water (yeah, it's that pasty).

I survived, but I also learned how to function without sleep.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I use this for my daily alarm - I have sleep mode from midnight to 7, and that is what goes off at 7. I am often awake before then.

I do use different alarm tones for days when I need to rise earlier due to travel or some planned activity.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I do use different alarm tones for days when I need to rise earlier due to travel or some planned activity.
I'm going to try reduce the blast radius of my current mind shredding alarm. Something between that and Early Riser (which I could use to fall asleep to).

Which are your favorites?

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yea and get more aggressive if you still don't tap anything

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm going to try reduce the blast radius of my current mind shredding alarm. Something between that and Early Riser (which I could use to fall asleep to).

Which are your favorites?
Don't know about faves but definitely let me totally delete Radar and Nuclear Alert from the phone :D

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.