Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chudley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
received 256GB IPad 13inch couple of days ago. Australia. Magic Keyboard and pen.

There is an electrical earthing issue with these units. When plugged in - and standing - on a plastic floor - I can feel a mild constant electrical shock coming through the metal hand rest and along the top of the function keys.
When I sit and earth myself it goes away. When unplugged it goes away.
I have a meter long copper pole in my garden for earth (I’m a stereophile) so the issue is not my house. I tried multiple power adaptors and outlets. Problem persists.
Plugged in , standing outside - I can still feel it. run your dry finger across the metal - you will feel like the unit is vibrating. Unplug it - vibration goes away.

I would warn against buying these iPads. The previous rubber coated Magic Keyboard didn’t have the issue. But the aluminium is now acting as an electrical conductor. This issue could by applicable to 240v countries - or a particular countries power grid. But in Australia - this iPad will BE RETURNED. I’m going to have to buy an M1 or M2 because it’s intolerable .

It staggers me that nobody picked up on this. What muppets!!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Yep, always been the case on my work MacBook Pros if I choose to charge them without the extension schuko cord (which is grounded; the default euro plug on local MBP power adapters is not).

Get a grounded charger for your iPad.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Unless I'm misunderstanding you then you're describing a phenomenon that's typical of all these aluminum devices when they're plugged into an outlet. Now that the keyboard is aluminum then it's also being felt through its palm rest.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The type-C protocol has a few ground pins, but you need the power brick to also have a ground to get the type-C port to be connected to ground. I can see the current Apple 20W charger including your AUS version has no 3rd prong. And unlike previous or bigger Apple power bricks where you could swap out the plug with an extension cord that has ground.

If this bothers you, all you need is to find a replacement brick that is confirmed to be grounded by a 3rd prong out of it (this isn't common among smaller wattage bricks). For example, I am using Belkin's new 200W GaN 4 port charger and it is grounded, but just one smaller version from them the 140W already only has 2 prongs out.

Chudley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
Thanks for tip on three pronged adaptor. That fixed it . I made a call to apple who seem like there could be some £€ coming my way to help pay for it . Will keep you updated .
Having your hand buzz while using the iPad is unacceptable in anybody’s book - I think the buzz previous was limited to shell case - not wrist rest

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The sensation was a common theme ever since MacBooks started using metal chassis (PowerBooks actually). If I am not wrong, the US regulation (or maybe it is the IEC even) dictates that stray current within 3.5mA before it is deemed leakage that needs to be dealt with. Now the iPad Pro inherits the metal palm rest from MacBooks, it now also falls into that category.

btw, one of the three contacts of the smart connector is actually the ground pin, if you feel like you could probably earth the thing by sandwiching something between the keyboard and the iPad, have it touching your table legs perhaps, lol.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Having your hand buzz while using the iPad is unacceptable in anybody’s book
No I actually like it, it is not an unpleasant sensation. It feels more like the smooth surface is a rougher textured one. There is no safety risk and it's not an Apple specific thing either. Any type of device with such an aluminum surface has that if you don't use a 3 prong charger. My Powerbook from before Macbooks and iPads existed had it. My M1 iPad has it too so downgrading to that won't change a thing about the aluminum housing.

We get such a thread every year here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.