Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’m trying to hind an easy to use Architectural plans app, has anyone something to suggest?

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
I´m not sure what exactly your demands are.
Try Sweet Home 3D.
Then there is FreeCAD. It´s not an especially easy to learn tool, but a real CAD app.
Sometimes the tools you already know, might be easier to use for one-time planning. I´m thinking of Affinity Designer, Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Yes, I tried Sweet Home 3D and FreeCAD a couple of times.
I don´t use them very often, as I didn´t have any real project to make use of them, yet.
For FreeCAD take a look at the Arch Workbench and the Arch tutorial to get a jump start.
Sweet Home 3D should be quite self-explaining.

Reactions: zoran

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Today, after installing the latest FreeCAD version, I had crashes on startup.
Just some macOS versions seem to be affected.
The bug is discussed here with suggestions of alternate installers:
For now, I keep using my old FreeCAD version 0.19-24291, which is working fine for me, until I´ll find more time to do the upgrade. Did FreeCAD start up without crashing on your macOS?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there an app for my iPhone to measure distances between walls in my house in order to make an architectural plan? Just the distances. After setting that simple plan, I can design it with the apps u suggest.

Last edited:

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Neither me, Apple says "Measurements are approximate". But I guess any other App would rely on the same sensors of the iPhone. However, there are laser distance measurer available in hardware stores starting at around $30 or just use a good old measuring tape :)

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Τhank you all for the suggestions.
To get a better idea on how those floor plans would look like, could u post some here and say from which app, so i would have a better idea on their abilities?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This just sounds like an utterly bizarre request.
Excuse me if I’m making users to wonder with my request, i’m just curious to see the floor plans that those suggested apps can produce… I assure you that there’s nothing nothing suspicious regarding my request, I’m just curious. 🙂

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
#buttongerald . I don’t want to see how they work, obviously I would do as you say if I wanted to see their usability.
I want to see how a floor plan they create looks.

A part of a floor plan, a screenshot, is enough if someone wants to share 🙂

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I’m trying to hind an easy to use Architectural plans app, has anyone something to suggest?

What are you doing? Do you need to make real plans that will go to the city building department to be approved for a permit? Or maybe you just want to draw a kind of sketch for your own use or to show to a contractor who will draw the real plans. Do you need the software to just draw 2D plans or do you want a 3d render, complete with furniture and flooring? Do you think you might use this software for other kinds of design other than architecture?

All real CAD apps have a steep learning curve. But they are also very much general purpose. You could use it for architecture or for mechanical design for industrial robots. Most of the best of these apps run on Windows. But on a Mac, there are three free 3D CAD aps that are quite good. (1) FreeCAD www.freecad.org and (2) Onshape https://www.onshape.com/en/. (3) Autodesk's Fusion360 is free for personal use. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal-form-v2
All are versatile enough that you could design parts for car or room additions to a house.

There is also a class if apps inteded for use by home owners to plan and help visualize hoome contruction projects. These are all very spaecialize and will do only that one thing. None are free and as I see it one is as good as another.

Halfway between these is "Sketchup" https://www.sketchup.com/try-sketchup#for-personal
It is relatively easy to learn compared to "real CAD" and you can do some visualization with it. There is a free version and a paid version.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to make real plans but not for aprooval from the city building dpt. I just want something for the contractor to have as a guide so he can begin to build. 2D plans are enough for me, im not really interested for 3D visuals. I guess it would be a plus if the app had graphic element templates like beds, couches, bathtubs, sinks in order to be used.

Last edited:

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Have you considered Shapr3D? You can create up to 2 designs for free (which if you export you can repeatedly overwrite) Its a lot like AutoCAD and Fusion 360 in that it can be used for both technical drawing and 3D work. If you'r eonly drawing plans you won't find an easier app. Works across Windows, MacOS and iPad. The iPad app works just as well on an 8th/9th Gen model as it does on a Pro.

It also allows for the importing of mesh files. I use Scaniverse as part of my job and its brilliant at LiDAR room scans. You can either dimension the scan in scaniverse or export it as a .obj file and then import it into Shapr3D to trace over to create plans. Scaniverse is *completely free* with no ads, IAP or scan limitations. It requires an iPhone or iPad with LiDAR.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
I'm a little late to this thread. I'm a longtime architect using Mac CAD but have been retired for 17 years now so I no longe need CAD other than as a hobby. I got started with the Mac in 1984 because of WYSIWYG the first time in drawing and CAD. I once tried them all and my first was PowerDraw, now PowerCadd by Engineered Software, engsw.com because not only see what you draw as printed but it was extremely easy to use and capable as drawing on a drafting table by hand. They have a demo on their website.

For my hobby efforts now and when I do want to personally convey my creations, for 3D I use SketchUp 3D. It is capable to draw in 2D as well and think the easiest 3D to use.

For just strictly 2D I have been using Microspot MacDraft Pro, microspot.com which is another WYSIWYG Cad program. It is not as sophisticated as PowerCADD, but is simpler because of that. They too have a demo to try. Not a house plan but similar is my drawing for a camper van RV in MacDraft Pro. This is a working drawing with dimensions and with the same drawing by turning layers on and off, a graphic illustration.

Mies ARV 5-16-2020 Rev 10.jpeg Mies ARV 2D 7-4-20 Presentation.jpeg

Reactions: organicCPU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.