Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
So coming from a Garmin it was all so simple. You had body battery tells you how much energy you have at any given point in the day. Training readiness, how recovered are you to train today.

I’m trying to find something similar on Apple Watch without having much joy.

The regular health app load of numbers and graphs what do I do with them? HealthFit more numbers and graphs for example training load 22, what do I do with that? Training monotony 1.3? Same.

Athlytic, I just don’t buy the numbers it’s selling, it never seems to represent how I feel where as Garmin body battery did.

Training today, gives a number which doesn’t seem to be far off but that’s all it gives you.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Good luck with that. I gave up. I agree with your observations. The most reliable I found was chipr, stress monitor and Gentler streak. All good enough with just the free parts.

But I never found a good recovery days substitute. Sports Tracker gives a estimate per activity, but it is not dynamic and way too low. But it is basically the same software Suunto uses and may have other features you like, plus you can see your workouts online.

Last edited:

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Good luck with that. I gave up. I agree with your observations. The most reliable I found was chipr, stress monitor and Gentler streak. All good enough with just the free parts.

But I never found a good revert days substitute. Sports Tracker gives a estimate per activity, but it is not dynamic and way too low. But it is basically the same software Suunto uses and may have other features you like plus you can see type your workouts online.

Thanks for that I’ll check them out

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I still don’t understand why you need a device to tell you how you feel, or why you would trust the device over how you actually feel.

If the device told you that you were all pumped up and ready to run an ultra marathon, but you barely feel like dragging your sorry behind out of bed, would you still go for a run?

if the device told you that “your batteries are running low” so you should take it easy, but you’ve never felt better and it’s a big race day, would you hold back?

Just listen to your body.

If you’re feeling really lazy, just “punch the clock” — do the bare minimum with minimum effort, especially if you pushed yourself the day before. At least go for a walk, if nothing else.

If you’re feeling great, go for it! That’s your chance to see what you can do, and to revel in the glory of feeling good about doing well.

If you’re a competitive athlete, you should have at least a training schedule designed to pace yourself through preparation and competition — and, ideally, a coach whose job it is to constantly tweak that schedule to ensure that you arrive at the date of the competition at the best possible balance of condition and restfulness. An after-the-fact analysis of the device’s measurements can certainly do a lot to inform such a schedule, but it’s going to be a matter of looking at trends over time, including how your body reacts to various inputs.

We’re probably theoretically at the point where AI can do a “not bad” job at that sort of analysis, but you need waaaaay more CPU cycles than you can carry on your wrist; when something like this ever gets developed, it’ll be an “upload to the cloud” sort of thing, not something the device figures out on its own. And, again, only of interest to competitive athletes; weekend warriors only need to listen to their bodies.

b&

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I still don’t understand why you need a device to tell you how you feel, or why you would trust the device over how you actually feel.

If the device told you that you were all pumped up and ready to run an ultra marathon, but you barely feel like dragging your sorry behind out of bed, would you still go for a run?

if the device told you that “your batteries are running low” so you should take it easy, but you’ve never felt better and it’s a big race day, would you hold back?

Just listen to your body.

If you’re feeling really lazy, just “punch the clock” — do the bare minimum with minimum effort, especially if you pushed yourself the day before. At least go for a walk, if nothing else.

If you’re feeling great, go for it! That’s your chance to see what you can do, and to revel in the glory of feeling good about doing well.

If you’re a competitive athlete, you should have at least a training schedule designed to pace yourself through preparation and competition — and, ideally, a coach whose job it is to constantly tweak that schedule to ensure that you arrive at the date of the competition at the best possible balance of condition and restfulness. An after-the-fact analysis of the device’s measurements can certainly do a lot to inform such a schedule, but it’s going to be a matter of looking at trends over time, including how your body reacts to various inputs.

We’re probably theoretically at the point where AI can do a “not bad” job at that sort of analysis, but you need waaaaay more CPU cycles than you can carry on your wrist; when something like this ever gets developed, it’ll be an “upload to the cloud” sort of thing, not something the device figures out on its own. And, again, only of interest to competitive athletes; weekend warriors only need to listen to their bodies.

b&
For me with chronic fatique after brain concussion/mtbi many years ago, those metrics are actually gold and the sole reason why gave up trying to make AW my do all device, after a fr 245 (I bought due to buttons) impressed me with how accurate it could predict my recovery time.

Yes, my feeling is still what matters, but those metrics are good to back it up or not. I try to beat garmins recovery time, but always end up having to surrender. But it caps out at 96hours and I know that now. So if I hit 96hours (4 dayes) it is at least 4 days. As garmin puts it, it only mean till you recovered to a new hart effort and you can train before that, but in my case it actually almost always mean I will not be "fresh" again, before that time has expired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.