Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
I did all the steps for my wife’s M1 MBA to erase the drive and sign out of her Apple ID. But when I went to reinstall MacOS it said it was activation locked and I chose to proceed and remove. I need to ship it tomorrow to the new owner. Is there an easy way to check out her ID is off of it or do I have to do it all over again. It took 3 hours last time. Thanks.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
No need to reinstall OS on an M Mac (or really any Mac that is using APFS for boot drive) as the OS volume is sealed/protected: no personal stuff is on there.

Simple reset does the job as all files are encrypted by default, encryption keys get wiped at reset.

For checking to see if device is tied to account, locked, Settings > iCloud on any device signed into the Apple ID can check. Find My app. appleid.apple.com as well.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
No need to reinstall OS on an M Mac (or really any Mac that is using APFS for boot drive) as the OS volume is sealed/protected: no personal stuff is on there.

Simple reset does the job as all files are encrypted by default, encryption keys get wiped at reset.

For checking to see if device is tied to account, locked, Settings > iCloud on any device signed into the Apple ID can check. Find My app. appleid.apple.com as well.
It is still showing up on Find My.... So do we have to log in and redo the process ....

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
This what I see when I log into Apple ID. 7BC9C63C-A566-4DCC-B82D-BD50E52B05D2.jpeg

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Just hit "Remove from account" and all should be ok.

After that, can do the reset if you like, to feel safe, but don't have to install the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.