Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thanks to all readers of this post.
To install Mojave in my MP 6.1 and keep HFS+, I cloned my High Sierra to an external drive and upgraded it to Mojave which made it APFS.
I intended to erase the inner drive (always keeping HFS+) and clone back with CCC the Mojave.
However I see no Mojave Recovery Partition to disable SIP, something which is requested by CCC to clone properly.
Is the old application from Lion‘s time CreateRecoveryPartition the easiest and best solution?
Complicated scripts are beyond the limited knowledge of this 75 years old Mac user.
Besides will this procedure update the FIRMWARE, Boot Rom or whatever should be updated in the MP 6.1 computer by Mojave???
:(
Thank you very much for any help :)

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What happens if you try to boot to the recovery partition now?
On the internal drive?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you very much Fishrrman!
You always try to help!
I have now restored High Sierra to the inner drive, erased the usb drive formerly upgraded to Mojave and am now again cloning High Sierra to it prior to upgrading it again.
Until now I could with „csrutil disable„ obtain that SIP should not be enabled in the High Sierra inner drive.
How do I upgrade that external drive to Mojave APFS and obtain by doing so a Mojave Recovery Partition to disable SIP prior to cloning back to the inner drive?
In my first trying the external drive upgraded OK but I saw no new Recovery Partition.
Thank you again for your Goodwill!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello Fishrrman
The clone of my inner drive now finished (still in HighSierra and in HFS+) still tells me no SIP enabled.
It received from CCC a usual High Sierra Recovery Partition.
What do you suggest me to do now in your opinion???:rolleyes:

Would this idea have sense in your opinion:
1) I upgrade the external bootable drive to Mojave 10.14.6
2) I make a TIME MACHINE Backup of it. (Can I use the same Time Machine Disk or should I take another Hard Disk not to mix the OS???)
3) I erase the inner drive formatting it in HFS+
4) I restore from Time Machine the Mojave to the inner drive.
Would that bring a working Mojave in the inner drive keeping still HFS+ ???:rolleyes:

A second idea not knowing if it works at all.
1) I upgrade to Mojave the inner drive and therefore to APFS
2) I keep in High Sierra untouched the USB drive for safety
3) I use the PARAGON Tool to convert from APFS to HFS+ ...something I never did and hope it works(?)

Thank you in advance for your kind advice!

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The CCC product page blog is must read to understand what to do and what is possible plus detail about APFS.
APFS will be slow with any spinner platter type drive.

The first time you install 10.15 it will if eligible upgrade the firmware I’d think.

you could partition and have full and minimal system partitions, something I did pre-recovery volume days.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
The CCC product page blog is must read to understand what to do and what is possible plus detail about APFS.
APFS will be slow with any spinner platter type drive.

The first time you install 10.15 it will if eligible upgrade the firmware I’d think.

you could partition and have full and minimal system partitions, something I did pre-recovery volume days.
Thank you very much IowaLynn for your message.
However I am presently trying to install 10.14 Mojave and not 10.15 Catalina.
My efforts are to manage to have a working Mojave inside my Mac to boot from it as usual but still keep in it HFS+ instead of APFS.
Thank you again!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
What happens if you try to boot to the recovery partition now?
On the internal drive?
Hello Fishrrman
Hoping to receive the suggestion needed.
If any other forum member has an idea, it will be very kind of him/her!
Thank you very much in advance! :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sorry, can't help.
I have something called "macOSUpd10.14.2.RecoveryHDUpdate" but it's almost 500mb in size.

If all you need to do is disable SIP, just use any recovery partition that's available.
That should do it.

Personal experience:
I've turned SIP off -- forever.
I don't need nor do I want junk like that in my copies of the OS.

My opinion only.
Others will disagree.
Some will disagree vehemently.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Sorry, can't help.
I have something called "macOSUpd10.14.2.RecoveryHDUpdate" but it's almost 500mb in size.

If all you need to do is disable SIP, just use any recovery partition that's available.
That should do it.

Personal experience:
I've turned SIP off -- forever.
I don't need nor do I want junk like that in my copies of the OS.

My opinion only.
Others will disagree.
Some will disagree vehemently.
Thank you very much Fishrrman
I have gone back to your original idea of a Mule Partition in Mojave.
After creating an empty external HFS+ Partition, I cloned to it the inner MacHD after I had upgraded it to APFS Mojave and installed the 2 updates Apple presently offers.
I intended to erase the APFS MacHD to HFS+ and clone back from the HFS+ clone but found out that the Disk Utility in Mojave offers only to erase in APFS, no HFS+ erasing any more!
I booted from an old Yosemite drive to do so but its Disk Utility did not showed me the Mac HD to erase it in HFS+ as I expected. Somehow Mojave and APFS makes such drives unfortunately impossible to see in older MacOS.
I had to partition the inner drive losing the contents of my Bootcamp Windows by doing so.
Now I am cloning from the HFS+ clone to the emptied MacHD finally in HFS+ and am hoping the computer will work again once finished.
I keep what you called once a Mule clone in APFS for future Apple updates and will somehow try to recover a Bootcamp Windows.
After so much trouble to have Mojave and HFS+ I will certainly not move to Catalina!
By the way I agree entirely with your opinion of not having SIP enabled.
Again thanks for your comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.