Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's been a decade since I've sold on Ebay. I used to be pretty active, but now feel like I am out of it, so, I'll ask is anyone active today, what are the gotchas?

I've been asked to sell two fancy cowboy boots made by Dan Post using Ostrich leather as part of an estate sale. One set is new and sells new for about $450. One is slightly used and would sell for the same price new.

My concerns would be:
  • a buyer claiming I did not ship what I sold.
  • a buyer paying, but then somehow withdrawing payment after the item is shipped.
  • estimating accurate shipping costs for around the world, versus selling just in the US.
  • Anything I've not considered. :)
  • Any other selling avenues reccommended?
If you are experienced and active on eBay., your opinion is sought, thanks!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
1. Honestly, nothing to stop that happening on Ebay or any other venue

2. Does not happen with Paypal. Once you've provided proof of shipping via a tracking number(which Ebay makes easy for you if you print the shipping label/postage through Paypal), the buyer isn't getting their money back unless they initiate an item not described. Just be sure you always ship with tracking, and be sure you use signature confirmation where appropriate(I think the threshold now is $750 or higher-double check on this).

3. Get the item boxed before the listing and weigh it. Don't be afraid to fudge the numbers up a bit. When listing the item, tell what service you will offer(I suggest priority international-it's expensive for the buyer, but that's not really your problem) and then just input the destination and weight. Ebay usually ends up overcalculating. Or, if you don't want to deal with international shipping, you can specify US only

Honestly, that's about it. Just be sure you photograph and describe the items well, and go overboard with describing anything that could even be remotely perceived as a defect.

Folks will talk about being scammed on Ebay as sellers. I'm at over 12 years and I'd hate to know how much money in that time, and it hasn't happened to me yet. At one time I was a power seller, although now I'm probably down to 15-20 items a year.

I've had unhappy buyers, but USUALLY was able to resolve things and that was the exception rather than the rule(the worst was a buyer who claimed a problem with the item that I don't think was there-I said send it back for refund or repair, they refused and wanted a partial refund, I actually won the case meaning they kept the item and I kept the money, and had the negative feedback they left taken down because I could prove feedback extortion).

If you DO have a buyer complain, just say "return for a refund", give them their money back, and relist.

Also, if selling for someone else, remember to consider ALL the costs. Ebay encourages you to provide "free" domestic shipping, and rewards you with better search placement. Since final value fees are charged on shipping also, it's what I do. I just add the cost of shipping on to either what I want the starting bid to be or on to the buy it now. Paypal takes a cut on the transaction itself(I forget the exact amount, but I think around 3% plus a flat fee), and Ebay charges a 10% final value fee on the sale price(plus shipping). When I sell for someone else as a favor, which is rare but something I do on occasion, I tell them 15% to start with, even though when I give them their cut I give a full break-down and charge actual price. Professional Ebay resellers often charge 25-35%-and the ones who do 25% probably are losing money.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1. Honestly, nothing to stop that happening on Ebay or any other venue

2. Does not happen with Paypal. Once you've provided proof of shipping via a tracking number(which Ebay makes easy for you if you print the shipping label/postage through Paypal), the buyer isn't getting their money back unless they initiate an item not described. Just be sure you always ship with tracking, and be sure you use signature confirmation where appropriate(I think the threshold now is $750 or higher-double check on this).

3. Get the item boxed before the listing and weigh it. Don't be afraid to fudge the numbers up a bit. When listing the item, tell what service you will offer(I suggest priority international-it's expensive for the buyer, but that's not really your problem) and then just input the destination and weight. Ebay usually ends up overcalculating. Or, if you don't want to deal with international shipping, you can specify US only

Honestly, that's about it. Just be sure you photograph and describe the items well, and go overboard with describing anything that could even be remotely perceived as a defect.

Folks will talk about being scammed on Ebay as sellers. I'm at over 12 years and I'd hate to know how much money in that time, and it hasn't happened to me yet. At one time I was a power seller, although now I'm probably down to 15-20 items a year.

I've had unhappy buyers, but USUALLY was able to resolve things and that was the exception rather than the rule(the worst was a buyer who claimed a problem with the item that I don't think was there-I said send it back for refund or repair, they refused and wanted a partial refund, I actually won the case meaning they kept the item and I kept the money, and had the negative feedback they left taken down because I could prove feedback extortion).

If you DO have a buyer complain, just say "return for a refund", give them their money back, and relist.

Also, if selling for someone else, remember to consider ALL the costs. Ebay encourages you to provide "free" domestic shipping, and rewards you with better search placement. Since final value fees are charged on shipping also, it's what I do. I just add the cost of shipping on to either what I want the starting bid to be or on to the buy it now. Paypal takes a cut on the transaction itself(I forget the exact amount, but I think around 3% plus a flat fee), and Ebay charges a 10% final value fee on the sale price(plus shipping). When I sell for someone else as a favor, which is rare but something I do on occasion, I tell them 15% to start with, even though when I give them their cut I give a full break-down and charge actual price. Professional Ebay resellers often charge 25-35%-and the ones who do 25% probably are losing money.
Thanks for the reply!

I sold a lot back on eBay in the 1990s and early 2000s. I weighed my items and calculated shipping costs, but I did charge for domestic shipping. I also checked eBay to see how many of an item would be listed and what they were selling for, if they were selling.

These boots sell for about $400 new, one pair is new and one pair worn once or twice. Some third party reseller offered our friend something like $20 each to take them off her hands. I can imagine these boots selling or not selling. I am worried about “size” and a buyer claiming the boot does not fit them.
[doublepost=1559136181][/doublepost]I just checked eBay, there are a page full of these boots offered most as Buy It Now, one as low as $29, and as far as I can tell, none of them are selling or even have bids on them. I put a "watch" on several of them, so I'm hoping it's not that hard to figure out if they sold or not after the fact.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2022-
I was pretty big selling items on eBay back around the turn of the century. If you are not familiar, eBay is an online marketplace that makes it easy for individuals to sell just about anything, new or used.

I sold 2 or 3 Mac Book Pros there. What I would do is buy the Applecare which was transferable, which as I recall, gave the computer a total of 3 or 4 year warranty (I forget) and just before it ran out, would sell it on eBay. So I could sell a $2000 computer for $900 which was not bad, then I’d buy a new laptop. This was also the time that I was traveling with work, playing games in Bootcamp, the program that allowed PC games to run on my Mac natively, so I was more interested in keeping the hardware up to date. Since then I have abandoned playing games on my MBP, and my 2016 MBP is still working fine. But I’ve gotten a little off topic.

In the past we have sold some Lego sets originally purchased for our Grandson, kept at our house, that he was no longer was interested in. The discontinued Harry Potter sets were (are?) amazingly popular. I sold them at profits.

E5578AC8-0589-4FD3-A449-F7E6CEB0CA35.jpeg

Recently my wife discovered that since a popular brand Crabtree and Evelyn has closed it’s stores and discontinued some items that are still very popular, such as the Nantucket Briar scent used in a variety of products like a room spray, and scented draw liner paper of which she has several unused, that are now selling on eBay for ridiculous prices. In the last 2 months I’ve sold on her behalf a bottle of Nantucket Briar room scented spray ($12 retail) for $89, and Nantucket Briar scented drawer lining paper (retail $10?) for $80 each, and some Nantucket Briar scented bath soap (3 pack, retail $12?) for $70, buyer pays for mailing. I’m a bit impressed, a total of $800 product sold at approximately a 700- 800% profit. What else can I sell?? :D

Perishable link:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.