Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
People are allowed to use their property in ways that you do not approve of. Life eh? ;)

vghs-tamewater.gif

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
IMG_8890.jpeg

Very happy with my new 550MHz TiBook - it seems to have a bit of burn in on the top right corner of the screen though.

Anyone know of a good replacement LCD I could replace it with?

Thanks! 😁

Reactions: Doq

DarrenHD

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I just picked up a PowerMAC G5 2.7GHz for $30 CAD. Case has some scratches on it, but inside relatively clean. Blew some dust out. Ran Apple Diagnostics on it and everything passed. It has 4 GB of ram. I installed MorphOS on it and it runs great!

These are photos before I cleaned it up!

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_124830.jpg
    IMG_20230623_124830.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230623_124835.jpg
    IMG_20230623_124835.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230623_124730.jpg
    IMG_20230623_124730.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20230623_124757.jpg
    IMG_20230623_124757.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 56
I just picked up a PowerMAC G5 2.7GHz for $30 CAD. Case has some scratches on it, but inside relatively clean. Blew some dust out. Ran Apple Diagnostics on it and everything passed. It has 4 GB of ram. I installed MorphOS on it and it runs great!

My mind, completely blown. That’s an amazing price.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016

Very nice!

I recently came across a free G5 tower but it had been stripped of the hard drives, ram and video card so I passed on it.

Yours looks very nice though! Good job!

😀

Alexis Trinquet

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2020
Gouvieux, France
Not a bargain in the slightest sense, but when the only other instance of that item is being sold for a couple of grands (Yikes! And no, I'm not talking about the PCI graphics PMG4), I guess it sorts of become one..?

So there you have it, I just scored a DOS Compatibility card, I paid way more than I would have preferred to, but at least I'm glad to have finally crossed that out of my bucket list.

(Still, the day I see a OrangePC 530 within my range, I won't hesitate and pounce on it)

As to what card it is, it's the 7-inch Cyrix 5x86-100 version, I kinda wish it was the 12-inch Pentium one, but since I don't have any 486-type PC in my collection, that's an interesting addition.

Now I gotta figure out how do you actually get this card to play nice in the PM7500..

Reactions: MacFoxG4

doctor_dog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2022
1979 vintage and works superbly - built to last!

View attachment 2232741
This surely is awesome. I bet there's more copper and metal in that box than in my desktop's PSU. I wonder--and since you have such superb equipment--, how many shortwave broadcasters are out there in this day and age? I'd heard BBC World Service stopped a while back, not sure if that's actually true. Fantastic find!

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
This surely is awesome. I bet there's more copper and metal in that box than in my desktop's PSU. I wonder--and since you have such superb equipment--, how many shortwave broadcasters are out there in this day and age? I'd heard BBC World Service stopped a while back, not sure if that's actually true. Fantastic find!
It's true that there's only a fraction of broadcasters now but still there's plenty of activity in the evenings, on the ham bands you can't hear plenty of digital code chatter and there's the occasional pirate station too :)

It's true that there's only a fraction of broadcasters now but still there's plenty of activity in the evenings, on the ham bands you can't hear plenty of digital code chatter and there's the occasional pirate station too :)

Fun project: next time a pirate station you pick up plays a minute-long slow-scan TV signal, record the output, via your analogue radio, then find a slow-scan TV converter utility which can run on PowerPC Macs (not sure there is one, tho), playing the audio back through that utility. I managed to do this last year on an Intel Mac using MultiScan 3B. (Downside: I can only find v1.90 and 1.91, and both of those are 10.6 and up.)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Fun project: next time a pirate station you pick up plays a minute-long slow-scan TV signal, record the output, via your analogue radio, then find a slow-scan TV converter utility which can run on PowerPC Macs (not sure there is one, tho), playing the audio back through that utility. I managed to do this last year on an Intel Mac using MultiScan 3B. (Downside: I can only find v1.90 and 1.91, and both of those are 10.6 and up.)
Done that but cheated...never been able to reliably capture a SSTV signal in my location - too much noise.

The places where so many Brits got their first break on the airwaves. ;)

Was/is there a ministry which, as portrayed by the U.S. film Pump Up the Volume with the Federal Communications Commission, zealously drove white vans in an attempt to triangulate and bust pirate signals? :)

Done that but cheated...never been able to reliably capture a SSTV signal in my location - too much noise.

I think, given my location in central Canada, I’m mostly picking up the SSTV signals from American broadcasters in the northeastern U.S. I think a couple of them have come from Pennsylvania and Vermont, and possibly one from New York state and another from Virginia. Any of the pirate signals from over the Rocky Mountains, though, have been beyond my very modest antenna’s capability. I’m kind of amazed how there’s one person out of B.C. who picks up these eastern signals as if they’re right next door and not some 4,500km away!

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Was/is there a ministry which, as portrayed by the U.S. film Pump Up the Volume with the Federal Communications Commission, zealously drove white vans in an attempt to triangulate and bust pirate signals? :)

Yes, the UK equivalent which conducted such activities was called the DTI: Department of Trade and Industry.

A cat and mouse battle of wills waged between the DTI and the Pirates in perpetuity - with the latter resorting to ever drastic strategies to evade prosecution and to protect their resources. Here's a classic case from the 90s that I remember very well.

You might also find these offshore pirate broadcasters of interest.

https://www.offshoreechos.com/Laser/Laser story menu.htm (Blockaded by the DTI!)

• Wow
Reactions: B S Magnet

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
When it rains, it pours...
After searching for 2 years for a functional one, I got not one, but TWO 17-inch Apple Studio Display CRTs from a seller on Facebook. For the absolute bargain total price of $50 AUD ($30USD). They both have some occasional flicker from the flyback, but definitely not unusable at all.
So happy to have these awesome CRTs, especially for my B&W!
IMG_2461.jpeg

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
When it rains, it pours...
After searching for 2 years for a functional one, I got not one, but TWO 17-inch Apple Studio Display CRTs from a seller on Facebook. For the absolute bargain total price of $50 AUD ($30USD). They both have some occasional flicker from the flyback, but definitely not unusable at all.
So happy to have these awesome CRTs, especially for my B&W! View attachment 2235327
Wow! Incredible, awesome find. I'm always hoping to find a 21" model of this. Those would decimate my back trying to collect them but it'd be worth it if I ever stumbled into one.

Reactions: mectojic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.