Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I have an A1016 wireless keyboard brand new in its box.
I bought it but then never used it......🤪......and it's sat in a cupboard for almost 20 years.

View attachment 2302531
I did not pick it up new but I got one as part of a a1117 & a1081 bundle for $40. I like mine a lot around 4 years ago IIRC. I remember going to the Apple Store and drooling over the white Intel IMacs that all had them at the time 2006. Very nostalgic - that as well as the wireless boiled egg mouse (first gen BT Mighty Mouse)

Reactions: MarkC426

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I bought one of those A1016 kbds new. I was so happy as it was so high tech and beautiful to look at. And expensive too. Maybe after 2 weeks I accidentally spilled a cup of something on it and it went dead and never recovered no matter how much I tried to clean it up. Just totally dead so I guess a short or something. I was so pissed, this was not a first time I destroyed something by spilling fluids (2 Psion 5MXs for example). Didn't buy another wireless until 2009 with my iMac.

Later on, I've seen many of those with loads of bread crumbs, pubes or something else inside for good. Doesn't look so cool anymore at that stage. ;)
I've got those in both wireless and wired versions. Actually typing on one now. They are easy to take apart and clean but it's a tedious job regardless and the lip all around the keyboard encourages crumbs and debris to linger.

Reactions: MarkC426 and ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Picked up a set of Apple DVI to HDMI adapters for $10 shipped.
Here’s that monitor alongside the adapter which I needed for the 2nd monitor in action:
IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

I like the extended desktop very much. For $20 all in, I think that is some solid added value. Now I will install some 360’ bearing feet on the bottoms of each so they can easily be moved around. :)

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Here’s that monitor alongside the adapter which I needed for the 2nd monitor in action:

I like the extended desktop very much. For $20 all in, I think that is some solid added value. Now I will install some 360’ bearing feet on the bottoms of each so they can easily be moved around. :)
nice set up!
you seem to have everything to repair or install anything!
i was going to repair a neighbors outside shudders, but could not find an adaptor for the drill and socket.
so my other neighbor took over the repair project!

nice monitors btw!

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Are you not worried about any of your gear falling onto the displays....;)
You must be a 'handy' dude.
This is the way.

Falling? Not at all - heavy power tools (angle grinder, drills, impact driver. Circular saw, utility saw, sanders, grinders, jigsaw etc,) are on a pegboard out of frame left, all my wrenches, vice grips etc are out of frame right hanging off a custom accordion hinged hanger arm and some boxed ratchet sets, breaker bars and tension ratchets are out of frame above on a sturdy shelf. More than what can fit in the pic but also tools that extend waaaay outside of retro computing and into car/electric/home repair & maintenance so I generally don’t show/include them , just what you see there which includes my soldering irons & accoutrements that I do use when fiddling with my computers.

Alexis Trinquet

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2020
Gouvieux, France
My own rule: NO LIQUIDS AROUND HALF METER FROM HARDWARE
I used to be like that, but sometimes, even when you take all your precautions, disaster can still strike when you expect it the least (such as a water pipe bursting in the ceiling... I've seen that happen at work).

On a more positive note, the MDD G4 is finally home, so far, it looks like getting it back up and running shouldn't be too hard. I was expecting it to be heavy but it feels surprisingly light.

So far here's what it has inside:

• Front drive carrier (annoyingly, the cable is missing)
  • GPU (which I presume is a Radeon 9000 Pro? It's definitely an ATi, has 4 VRAM chips on each side and has a passive heatsink)
  • RAM
  • CPU card and heatsink, dual 1GHz
  • USB card (KeySpan, based on a OPTi FireLink chip)
  • Adaptec AVA-2906 (I already have its HD50 sister, the AVA-2904, but it's always nice to have spares)
  • Dust and (minor) oxidation (huh?)
Now as to what is missing:
  • Modem card
  • DVD drive carrier (mine had a SuperDrive according to the sticker on the back)
  • Back drive carrier
  • Power Supply
  • CPU fan
Other than that it's ~98% complete, the case has some scuffs, there's some oxidation on the cards, methinks this machine was stored in a humid location for a long time.

The PRAM battery was still present (it was a SAFT, since removed) even though I could've sworn that it was missing in the listing.

The board is dusty and smells funny but other than that I didn't see anything wrong with it, physically wise.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
nice set up!
you seem to have everything to repair or install anything!
i was going to repair a neighbors outside shudders, but could not find an adaptor for the drill and socket.
so my other neighbor took over the repair project!

nice monitors btw!
Thanks for the kind words. Absolutely worth puting together kit for what you need. I’ve been piecing my kit together for at least 15 years … some of this stuff I’ve had longer but man is it nice to have what ya need.

Moving it is different story but that is the price one pays :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

Traace

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Two X800 XT Mac Edition arrived a few days ago (one without cooler, but I think a FireGL X3 cooler will fit). It was a very good deal.

Does someone know how much such a card actually worth these days? Seems like nobody sells them :D

Attachments

• GPU 1.jpg
    GPU 1.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 41
  • GPU 2.jpg
    GPU 2.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Two X800 XT Mac Edition arrived a few days ago (one without cooler, but I think a FireGL X3 cooler will fit). It was a very good deal.

Does someone know how much such a card actually worth these days? Seems like nobody sells them :D
Hmm, well scarcity alone should drive a handsome sale price. Cool pick up :)

Reactions: Traace

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
These have to count as some of my best snags off ebay I’ve had for a while (well at least one certainly is.)

Immaculate 2009 17” Macbook Pro with about 4 hours battery life and lightning fast on Snow Leopard with that beefy GeForce 9600M GT GPU.
Sold as spares/repairs but all it needed was a fresh OS - £12.50

MBP17.jpg

Asus eee PC 701 netbook, immaculate and newish battery. Works extremely well with MicroXP (after last-lustre performance from various “lite” Linux distros.) £16

Casio E-115 Pocket PC (seen connected to the Asus for software installs) Boxed with all the bits and pieces - £10. I did have to buy a new battery for £10 but at least I know that it’ll have some longevity now and it’s still by far the cheapest Casio E-115 I’ve seen.

851892be13e945f585dc307b34f3277e.jpg

These have to count as some of my best snags off ebay I’ve had for a while (well at least one certainly is.)

Immaculate 2009 17” Macbook Pro with about 4 hours battery life and lightning fast on Snow Leopard with that beefy GeForce 9600M GT GPU.
Sold as spares/repairs but all it needed was a fresh OS - £12.50

View attachment 2342558

That’s… incredible.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
A real fluke - mainly because it was so poorly listed. What's incredible is it was sold by Cash Converters, so whoever was their 'tech guy' clearly didn't think it was worth the bother as it's "so old."

Going on my experiences with staff in several Cash Converters stores, most of them are not particularly knowledgeable about the items if it strays beyond basic territory like DVDs, games consoles etc. I remember asking the staff about Akai samplers that they had for sale and being asked in return, "What are they for?" :D

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Immaculate 2009 17” Macbook Pro [...] - £12.50
That is pure gold, especially considering the uni's have the WUXGA LCD as only option.

Asus eee PC 701 [...]
I wonder how something more esoteric but lightweight such as ArcaOS would run on it, given the base OS is from 2002 (or 1996, depending on how you look at it).

Casio E-115 Pocket PC [...]
I had one of those back in the day. Awesome machine with a great LCD... but I felt I got slightly pwned because the Pocket PC 2002 OS and Linux distributions required an ARM CPU and flash ROM... in other words, an iPAQ.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I hadn't heard of ArcaOS - I'd suspect drivers might be an issue?
There are universal drivers to handle graphics and audio at least — not sure about WiFi etc. though.

Yes, the Casio screen is quite pleasant - the unit feels well designed all round […]
It’s a bit thick, but so is the svelte iPAQ once you add any expansion sleeve! The EM-500 is thinner but foregoes the CF slot for an MMC one.

If you can, try jabbing a 32 GB (or bigger) CF card into it for the laughs — works great on my iPAQ running the same OS. 🤣

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.