Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Ok, this has been swirling around in my heal for a looong time. I've been searching around ebay to see if there's any good deals around regarding Macs...

I saw some pretty awesome deals... But they scare me... Some of the powerbooks were at insanely low prices... Too good it seems...
I know ebay is not a good place for major purchases, but I'm just looking at maybe buying a used laptop as a gift or something. I saw an Al Book 17" going for about $330 and that made me weary (As would most Apple savvy people).
But they seller was a "Power seller" with 98% positive feedback (377) and had "Buyer protection plan"...

So If I was to theoretically going to buy it, would it be a good idea to bid on it? If it was a scam, would that "Buyer protection" do any good? Does the rating mean anything?

I'm just wondering here. I don't plan on doing anything unless I know my $$ can be recovered if something went wrong... Or if all of these "deals" are just scams...

Could someone explain how all of this works? :eek: :confused:
I just want to get rid of this voice in my head wanting to take chances...

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
In school 98% is excellent, but on ebay it is a red flag. Look not at the percentage, but at the total number of negatives. If the total number is above 2, look elsewhere. Otherwise you have a chance of problems. Also, if they ask you to pay via an email address outside of ebay, RUN AWAY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.