Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have an iPhone XS Max that needs the screen replaced, I am not spending Apple's price to have it done and I really don't want to spend 100 something at a local shop. I have replaced phone screens years back so it is something I am comfortable doing. I look on eBay and see numerous screens and varying prices but I'm not sure if there is a big difference in quality and was wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Two types of screens available for OLED iPhones LCD and OLED. LCD screens are way cheaper but damage the phone itself due to the difference in voltage required to power the screen.. Just make sure the screen you purchase is actually an OLED display and remember the replacement screen will need to be programmed or true tone will no longer function. Also, you may see a difference in the quality of colors and contrast with a 3rd party screen compared to the original

Reactions: Andeddu

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There are at least three major types of replacement displays:
  • LCD
  • Rigid OLED
  • Flexible OLED (original)
There is a quite a bit of variability in terms of quality in terms of brightness, thickness, touch sensitivity, color temperature, etc. With rigid OLED, the bottom bezel is 1-2mm thicker. I would suggest rigid OLED as a good balance between cost-effectiveness and quality. The biggest issue with buying aftermarket is you don't know the quality you're getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.