Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm considering removing ecobee3 from HomeKit entirely. Like honestly it seems to me that it cripples the device. I don't regret buying it because it has the remote sensors and I'm not sure whether this is an ecobee problem or an Apple problem, but in any case ecobee3 + HomeKit = not yet.
I was reading on the Ars Technical forums that there's a setting buried deep in the Ecobee settings that there's a 'return to schedule' or something at turns off the indefinite hold you're experiencing.

Found it:
vafarmboy wrote:
Otto Pilot wrote:
I THINK if you do a timed scene trigger in HomeKit itself it will override the geofence. I have my Ecobees scheduled through time triggers in the "Home" app and it works as advertised. To be fair, though, I've never done a geofence with the Ecobee, just with the August lock.

My exact problem is this is not happening. Get geofence hold overrides the schedule.
Turns out it's there, just buried. Deep.

Hamburger -> Manage HomeKit configuration -> Geofence -> When entering geofence

What tripped me up is that last "When entering geofence" doesn't really seem tappable, but it is, and inside the picker you can choose "Resume Schedule." It defaults to "I'm home."

Reactions: DJLC

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I was reading on the Ars Technical forums that there's a setting buried deep in the Ecobee settings that there's a 'return to schedule' or something at turns off the indefinite hold you're experiencing.

Found it:

Sweeeeeet. I knew about that menu but didn't see that "Resume Schedule" was an option before. That pretty much solves my problem for now I think. In general though that's still a little kludgy and doesn't resolve the issue when telling Siri "Goodnight." But I actually removed the ecobee from the "Goodnight" scene so it just goes to my sleep setting as scheduled. Hopefully this will get smoother as Apple refines HomeKit.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I've resorted to using the "resume schedule" as well, but my wife and I use IFTTT for geofencing so it can register either phone coming home. We just let the ecobee go into away mode on its own when it detects that no one's home. There's still the issue for using Siri to change temperatures, so we just don't and use the app instead. Hopefully they change something soon. They did fix auto-mode for HomeKit... when the HomeKit version first came out, you couldn't even put the thermostat into auto-mode if you had HomeKit set up. So there's hope they'll fix this hold issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.