Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
I recent bought two Ecobee 4 tstats. They both disconnect from Homekit every 3 to 4 days. They stay connected to wifi and are accessible through Ecobee's app but not the Home app. One tstat is roughly 10-ft from my router so it can't be a WiFi strength issue. Also, I have Lutron Caseta switches, a Schlage Sense lock, and Philips Hue bulbs scattered through out the house that are damn near flawless. I have a few iDevice switches that disconnect from Homekit every couple of weeks though.

Any experience with Ecobee and Homekit? Is it normal for them to disconnect from Homekit this often? Any ideas on how to keep them connected?

Thank you.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Deleting your home and recreating it seems to solve issues some people run into. Admittedly, this is a PITA if you have a lot of devices like yourself.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Deleting your home and recreating it seems to solve issues some people run into. Admittedly, this is a PITA if you have a lot of devices like yourself.

I did that once. PITA. Didn't help.
[doublepost=1512685260][/doublepost]
Just curious, what is your hub situation?

I'm not sure I understand the question 100% but here goes...

All of my Homekit automation is running through an Apple TV4. My Lutron Caseta switches have their own Lutron hub located about a foot away from the router and my Philips Hue lights have the Philips hub that's also about a foot away from the router. Ecobee, Schlage, and iDevice don't have hubs. No other hubs or home automation systems running in the house. Everything is connected to the same network.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was having what sounded like an identical problem (Ecobee wouldn't work through the Home.app, worked fine through the EcoBee app, and other Homekit devices were functioning properly).

What I did was restarted the AppleTV from settings, and then unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in. One of those may have fixed it but I didn't test in between. This was just when it was a problem exclusive to the Ecobee. Since my other devices were working it hard to pin point.

I was having what you described quite often actually with other devices disconnecting (although mostly the EcoBee) so I switched my connected Home hub from the living room to the bedroom and all the devices functioned flawlessly. Since then I've switched it back and its again been operating flawlessly. Not really sure what the deal was and whether I fixed it or Apple did something around the same time or what. But to answer your question there is nothing you should really need to do to keep the devices connected (aside the obvious to being within Wifi or BT range depending on the smart device).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.