Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RVN World News

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2022
The top is Safari, the bottom is Edge. I just happened upon this because Safari youtube 4k was lagging like crazy so decided to see if the same happened on edge and it didn't stutter once. But I then noticed how much dimmer the video was as well as the colors not looking as vibrant. Both videos are in 4K HDR though. I've restarted both browsers and disabled the extensions I had on just in case, didn't seem to change anything except for how safari looked brightness-wise. Brightness is maxed on both videos. Have I missed some other setting somewhere? Or is edge just not doing HDR right currently?

13E88AB0-F932-480C-95C9-0AC80930FD60.jpeg

F20E670F-68A5-488E-BDF7-C50F1B59F970.jpeg

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
It looks like Mac os is reading the values of the HDR as SDR in edge. Its what happens when you dont compensate for HDR on an SDR screen. but it's odd because in my testing using that exact video, edge was properly showing in HDR. But your screenshot imply your screen is not an HDR screen and the top one is safari Compensating and the bottom one is not. But here is a screenshot that i took that os over blown cause the screenshot is not compensating, but looks fine in safari. which MacBook pro do you have?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.58.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.58.27 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

RVN World News

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2022
It looks like Mac os is reading the values of the HDR as SDR in edge. Its what happens when you dont compensate for HDR on an SDR screen. but it's odd because in my testing using that exact video, edge was properly showing in HDR. But your screenshot imply your screen is not an HDR screen and the top one is safari Compensating and the bottom one is not. But here is a screenshot that i took that os over blown cause the screenshot is not compensating, but looks fine in safari. which MacBook pro do you have?
I’m using the 2021 16” Max. I tested on just regular 4k as well without HDR. Edge was still dimmed than in safari. Not sure what else could be the issue then. I restarted, disabled extensions, and messed with the display settings.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
maybe the apple silicon version of edge is not sending proper HDR values to the OS. Im on intel so that may be a difference. Im supprised the MBP cant play a 4k HDR in you tube in safari, as my 2019 MBP has no issues. Maybe try chrome?

RVN World News

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2022
maybe the apple silicon version of edge is not sending proper HDR values to the OS. Im on intel so that may be a difference. Im supprised the MBP cant play a 4k HDR in you tube in safari, as my 2019 MBP has no issues. Maybe try chrome?
My edge settings are synced across devices. I've switched back on hardware acceleration in edge and now edge is as bright and HDR colored as safari and doesn't lag on 4K so far. It was off because it was causing issues a while ago for me. I guess it needs to be switched on on the mac for HDR to work right. :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.