Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k28

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Any one get the same problem that the menu "Edit -> Cut" alway disable in Finder. Why is that? How can i get it enable?

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
If you are in the Finder, the "cut" option is disabled so because otherwise if you actually selected "cut", whatever file or application was selected would be removed from the window/desktop, and placed in the clipboard. That wouldn't be a good idea, as if you then cut or copied something else, the first item would be deleted for good.

However, if the selection in the Finder is the text of the name of a file or application, then you can "cut", as that's just affecting the name and not the actual file.

I hope I've been clear enough.

I guess Apple decided that allowing people to "cut" files and application's would be too risky. I tend to agree with them, if you want to trash something, there are better ways.

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
Coming from Windows it's very annoying to have to open two windows to move files between folders. I would much prefer being able to cut-and-paste files and folders.

That wouldn't be a good idea, as if you then cut or copied something else, the first item would be deleted for good.
Windows actually handles this quite well. You can cut file(s)/folder(s) and if you cut or copy something else before pasting, the cut is cancelled and the original file(s)/folder(s) are back where they were as if nothing ever happened.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
You can also drag a file/folder/application to a closed folder/disk, and if you hover over it for a couple of seconds, it will spring open.

That way you don't need to have 2 windows open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.