Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanfc21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
New Zealand
Hi everyone! I'd like to know if anyone has used a PPC G4 recently to edit modern HD video shot on an iPhone? I filmed some shots in 1080p HD on my phone, but when I transfer these to my iBook G4, Final Cut can't read the file. I know this is due to the age of the encoders on OS X 10.4.11, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with this, and what their method was? Thanks!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi everyone! I'd like to know if anyone has used a PPC G4 recently to edit modern HD video shot on an iPhone? I filmed some shots in 1080p HD on my phone, but when I transfer these to my iBook G4, Final Cut can't read the file. I know this is due to the age of the encoders on OS X 10.4.11, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with this, and what their method was? Thanks!
It can be done but is incredibly slow and hard on your iBook:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Then, what about doing it in imac G5 or Powermac G4 MDD 2x1Ghz? Will it have the same suffering?
Same suffering - marginally quicker ;)

Bottom line is, PowerPC can't edit h264 - there has to be a conversion into a format it can handle first.

The exception would be some rudimentary editing in QuickTime and then saving as .mov - when I've done this though the file will only playback correctly in QuickTime and nothing else.

PowerHarryG4

macrumors regular
May 31, 2020
London, England
I wouldn't bother with 1080p, however i've had luck with 720p and 1080i. I used compressor to convert it to ProRes and then that footage works really smooth on final cut; you could give it a go with the 1080p footage, it should run smoother.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
I wouldn't bother with 1080p, however i've had luck with 720p and 1080i. I used compressor to convert it to ProRes and then that footage works really smooth on final cut; you could give it a go with the 1080p footage, it should run smoother.
What converter do you use? Will machine like Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz suffice?

PowerHarryG4

macrumors regular
May 31, 2020
London, England
What converter do you use? Will machine like Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz suffice?
I used compressor 3 with Final Cut Studio 2. I have to admit I did use a Powermac 2.0 DP so I had quite a bit more power. But I think the best way to know would be to try and see if it runs smoothly. But I think others in this thread have more experience with ppc and video formats than I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.