Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamngood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Hi everyone.
Here is the thing: I moved recently to Rio de Janeiro, but couldn´t bring my big macpro:apple:. Now I´m here in Rio and have to edit a movie where all the material is on the macpro in Copenhagen. What is the solution to this? Is it to buy and set up apples xsan 2? Use my computer in Copenhagen as my server, and then edit from another computer in Rio, accessing the macpro in Copenhagen?

Any help would be very appreciated. :)

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hi everyone.
Here is the thing: I moved recently to Rio de Janeiro, but couldn´t bring my big macpro:apple:. Now I´m here in Rio and have to edit a movie where all the material is on the macpro in Copenhagen. What is the solution to this? Is it to buy and set up apples xsan 2? Use my computer in Copenhagen as my server, and then edit from another computer in Rio, accessing the macpro in Copenhagen?

Screen sharing would probably do the first hit among others in Google look promising for using it along with ssh for security.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=os+x+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Hi everyone.

You're trying to access your media files on your home computer in Copenhagen right?

You can do this using the Back to My Mac feature of MobileMe (or by setting up your own dynamic DNS routing system like dyndns.org)... however it will be extremely slow over normal internet connections.

You might be better served having someone mail you your hard drive from your Mac Pro and connecting it to your laptop in Rio.

Xsan won't do anything for you that just connecting to your home computer over the internet won't do in this instance.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Agreed. Either have the drive(s) mailed to you and install the editing software on a machine you have access to, or do the screen sharing thing.

Back to My Mac is a pain in the behind. I have yet to get it to work using all AEBS. Look into using some kind of VNC setup, ideally with SSH for security. If you have a fast enough line in both places you will at least be able to see what you are doing, but I don't think you will be able to hear anything (the audio of your video). You will just be remotely controlling your Mac. This might not even be an option for what you want to do now that I think about it.

You either need your MacPro, or the drive(s) with the material plugged into a system in Rio.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
The easiest thing would be to install leopard in both machines, buy mobile me, and use Back to my mac (or screen sharing trough iChat, which do not require mobile me).

But really, how well can you actually edit video over screen sharing? Play-back would be miserable at best, fine edits would take forever, and again there is the issue with audio. I don't think any kind of screen sharing is going to work for significant video editing.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Have someone ship you a copy of the footage on harddrives. I occasionally use Remote Desktop to access other machines in my building at work and just basic navigation can be irritating. I can't imagine trying to edit that way.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.