Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Is there anyway to make it so when you edit the title of your thread, the changes are actually reflected on the thread listing pages of the forum? Currently, when you edit the title you can see the changes after clicking the link for the thread, but the changes are never reflected in the title of the thread as it is shown in the listing of all the threads in a given forum.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Elan0204 said:
Is there anyway to make it so when you edit the title of your thread, the changes are actually reflected on the thread listing pages of the forum? Currently, when you edit the title you can see the changes after clicking the link for the thread, but the changes are never reflected in the title of the thread as it is shown in the listing of all the threads in a given forum.

THAT is a good idea. Especially for the Classifieds, so members can change their title to "SOLD" upon a done deal.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If a mod changes the title, it does. I don't think regular members can.

If its a big deal, contact a mod and we'll fix it. I don't know if this is an easy fix. We'll look into it.

D

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Mr. Anderson said:
We'll look into it.

Thanks Mr. Anderson! I don't have any threads that need to be changed now, this is just something I noticed awhile back and never bothered to bring up until now. I always figured one could contact a mod if a thread title really needed adjusting, but most changes that someone would make are probably not major enough to warrant bothering a mod.

I think this ability would be especially useful in the Marketplace so people can update the price in the thread title, or say if something has been sold. Elsewhere in the forum people can correct their spelling mistakes, or make their thread title more descriptive if they realize no one is bothering to look at their question. I was never sure if this was a limitation of the forum software, or a choice set by the mods, but I know that thread title changes do take effect on other forums I've visted.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
jet3004 said:
THAT is a good idea. Especially for the Classifieds, so members can change their title to "SOLD" upon a done deal.

On a related note, I don't know how difficult this would be, but how about an additional column in the 'help' forums where users can select whether problems have been resolved or not? That way, helpers can quickly skim through and find something they can help with :)

A potential problem is people forgetting (or not knowing) to flag their topics as resolved when done. I've noticed quite a few 'forced accepts' by moderators on Experts' Exchange, which works in a similar way.

Implementing this might be trickier than it's worth though :(

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Mr. Anderson, I was wondering if you had an update on this issue. If not, that's fine, as I realize all the mods are busy, I just wanted to make sure this issue wasn't forgotten.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The advantages to this idea are clear, but I don't think we can enable thread-title-editing with the current forum software setup. Lacking that, we settle for the 2nd-best choice: Edit the first post (not the thread title) to note that an item is sold or a problem has been settled, and ask a moderator when you want a thread title changed. Such requests should usually be handled quickly.

The best way to ask a moderator for help, which is not obvious, is to use the "Report bad post" feature on any post in the thread, and make your request in the description. You can't report your own post, however (something else I wish we could change), so this method only works if somebody else has posted in the same thread. It seems counterintuitive since the other post isn't "bad", but doing it this way guarantees that any moderator on duty will see it. If you PM a moderator instead, the one you pick might not be the one who would see your message first. And if you PM all of them, it makes more work for everyone involved.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting an update on this matter, Doctor Q. It's too bad to here that this functionality can't be added with the current forum software, but hopefully whenever the next major forum software overhaul occurs, thread title editing will be added.

Along the same lines as editing the title of a thread, another thing I'd like to see added to the forums (and this will probably have to wait until a software upgrade too) is the ability to delete your posts. Just something else to keep in mind if/when you the forum software is updated.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Doctor Q said:
The best way to ask a moderator for help, which is not obvious, is to use the "Report bad post" feature on any post in the thread, and make your request in the description. You can't report your own post, however (something else I wish we could change), so this method only works if somebody else has posted in the same thread. It seems counterintuitive since the other post isn't "bad", but doing it this way guarantees that any moderator on duty will see it. If you PM a moderator instead, the one you pick might not be the one who would see your message first. And if you PM all of them, it makes more work for everyone involved.
I remember we used to do that before, since it was easy to report you own thread/post -- but it is quite counterintuitive now to report some else to get your own thread fixed.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sun Baked said:
I remember we used to do that before, since it was easy to report you own thread/post -- but it is quite counterintuitive now to report some else to get your own thread fixed.
Agreed. I wish it was otherwise.

jet3004 said:

Yeah... I think that would really help... If you made an error like added a bad word on mistake (assinment or ***) ((TYPO's happen - ALOT For ME))... I think it would be great to be able to edit the title... I'm not sure what type of coding that would requre... But still it would help out a lot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.