Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
The introduction the the Quartz based themes in iMovie 06 is too tempting to leave alone for more than a few days. The themes are good but never what you need. When they are so easy to change and create in Quartz then why would you not want to "Tweak" them.

My problem is that I have now created the new quartz file that I would like, I have updated the Property list files and the string table file.

However when restarting imovie / machine reboot the changes to existing and new themes are not picked up.

There is a unix binary in the theme so I assume you may need to rebuild this.

Does anyone know how to apply the changes so that they appear. Maybe we could start sharing some alternative themes.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
This is all beyond my abilities but I'd love to see additional themes by users or even 3rd party vendors. I can't believe that there aren't the typical holiday and birthday type themes included already.

There are a few people selling iDVD themes but these haven't been updated since iDVD 3 or 4. I don't think it's a huge market, but there could be some potential.

It would be great to be able to convert/modify iDVD themes into iMovie themes. Another option is to export from Motion as an iMovie theme.

Good luck and keep us posted.

gimpysquid

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
nashm said:
There is a unix binary in the theme so I assume you may need to rebuild this.

Does anyone know how to apply the changes so that they appear. Maybe we could start sharing some alternative themes.

You don't need to rebuild the executable, you just need to rename it to match the name of the theme. I created a webpage of the steps I used to edit a iMovie theme.
http://web.mac.com/videokitty/iWeb/Kurt/iMovie 6 Themes.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.