Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
I think that there is a bit of confusion with the apple stores when it comes to educational pricing. About two months ago, I talked with someone from the apple store in Peabody MA, they told me that I could buy any apple product at the educational price, as long as that I showed an ID. Last night, I called the CambridgeSide store, which is closer to me, and requested info on the Panther event tonight, while on the phone, I asked the same question about buying with the educational discount and I was told no. What gives? Does anyone have the correct answer to this question? I have talked with others, consumers, and I am getting the same yes and no answer. Has anyone here purchased from the apple retail store, purchased software, and been able to get their educational discount? or is it just hardware as some have said?

Now, normally I would just buy from my campus store but lovely Umass decided to get rid of their apple and computer store so now, for some reason, they can not offer the educational price.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I called both the Chicago North Michigan Avenue store and the store in Schaumburg, IL and they both said that they would be unable to offer Panther for the education price of $69. They said I would have to order online to get the education price.

tambreet

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Weird. I bought my Powerbook at the Mac store in Schaumburg not long ago, and all I had to do was show my ID to get the student price. I wonder if for some reason the rules are different for Panther.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
The rules are different for hardware and software. You can get the education discount on hardware, but not on all software. I think if the software is an "academic" edition then you can get the education price in the Apple retail stores. For example, Microsoft Office v.X Academic Edition can be bought in the Apple retail stores for $149. However, since Panther is the same package whether you pay $69 or $129, I guess they can't offer the discount in the store.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
About educational pricing.....

Apple's OS software, I was told, is in a different channel than their 3rd party (obviously) and other Apple software. They like to keep track of who's getting what, so you have to go through Apple.com to get the educational price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.