Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
UK
Today I came across this article and thought I would share it in the hope you guys might retweet it if you are having similar problems with EE http://gu.com/p/3hy8f

I've been having signal problems with my iPhone 5 since September (I bought the iPhone 5 and switched from O2 to T-Mobile/EE) At first I thought it was the phone but a few of my friends and family have the same problems with EE with iPhone 5 and different makes of phone.

I lose signal in areas I know I should have good signal, toggling Airplane mode brings back the signal.

After getting in touch with EE they said it's not a problem with the network and go see Apple.

Apple replaced my phone yesterday :) They said it's an EE problem that they see lots of, but for peace of mind they would swap it.

Does anyone else on the forums have this or similar problem? I'm no expert but it seems like the phones don't know what to do when switching from T-mobile to Orange to EE antenna to try and get the strongest signal.

Hopefully now with the press getting hold of the issue something will be done. I'm seriously considering switching to 3.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
EE's 4G network is notoriously bad. Yes it's still quite new, but it just doesn't live up to the hype or expectations, plus it's just ridiculously expensive and their included data limits are laughable.

You can better data speeds on 3 with HSPA+/DC-HSDPA on the iPhone 5. Plus once 3 launch their LTE network they are upgrading customers to it for free, with the same tariffs available now. The biggest reason for switching to 3 is their (truly) unlimited data.

Last edited by a moderator:

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Hi

I'm with EE in Manchester and have been plagued with signal issues.

When i have a signal 3 or 4G is great, but the phone randomly looses a
the signal.
I often received SMS notifications of missed calls and people tell me it's always on answerphone (no signal)

We have 3 iPhone5's in the house and the other two are with 02 and there fine, if you do phone EE they will just tell you to reset phone, reset network settings, etc

I'll be looking to change provider when out of contract in the next few months.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm with O2 in the West Midlands and tried a EE sim when I got my iPhone 5. The phone signal was awful.
Despite all the awesome things you can do with an iPhone, it's primary role is to be a phone. If I can't be contacted at all times, then it's no good to me.
As I always buy my phone outright, I can switch whenever I need to.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
I have the same problem on the south coast. My old 3GS used to be on 4 or 5 bars here but my 5 is always 1 or 2. Apple replaced my phone but its still the same. Where I work I have no signal at all but at home it's on 3 bars.
So is it the phone or EE?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
EE's 4G network is notoriously bad. Yes it's still quite new, but it just doesn't live up to the hype or expectations, plus it's just ridiculously expensive and their included data limits are laughable.

You can better data speeds on 3 with HSPA+/DC-HSDPA on the iPhone 5. Plus once 3 launch their LTE network they are upgrading customers to it for free, with the same tariffs available now. The biggest reason for switching to 3 is their (truly) unlimited data.

Agreed about 3. Their data coverage is second to none. EE's data tariffs are an embarrassment and I hope people vote with their feet when it's no longer a monopoly service.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Agreed about 3. Their data coverage is second to none. EE's data tariffs are an embarrassment and I hope people vote with their feet when it's no longer a monopoly service.

I pay £28 p/m for unlimited data on 3. EE offer unlimited calls and texts on all their tariffs (not very useful on a network built for data!) but their included data is shocking. Apparently £46 for 10GB is their best value tariff! It's a joke!

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
EE are a waste of time. I was with them for around 8=10 years and they've been ripping me off for that time too.

I'm winding my contract down with EE at the moment as I took an iPhone 5 last month on Three. I only wish I'd done it sooner. 24 meg down on HSPA+ here in Glasgow :D

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I've switched from O2 to three recently, hesitantly.

But I should have done it earlier.

My wife is still on O2 and having just travelled around most of the south coast and inland Devon and Cornwall I never failed to have a decent 3G signal and speeds were always above 4Mbps but usually between 10-20Mbps.

My wife's O2 didn't have 3G in a few popular towns and rarely 3G driving between locations.

We actually drove back to east Devon from padstow and stupidly followed the satnav which took us on the most ridiculous b-road. It was overgrown but even in these remote areas I had decent 3G signal.

So I can't fault coverage, can't fault speeds and 3 doesn't seem to suffer any lost signal problems either.

There is only 1 place I failed to get a service which is a known black spot near me. I'm looking forward to LTE.

I would defiantly recommend you get a three Payg to try if you are fed up with EE. Remember EE and three share a lot of masts but maybe this signal problem is unique to EE equipment.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
EE can go **** themselves.

Their contract prices are a joke when one considers how bad the signal is.

Customer service is also really ineffective. I ended up returning my handset within the two week window and they tried charging me £400 afterwards. After about a month of calling I finally got that charge reversed. The £200 I paid for the handset is nowhere in sight though. Each time I called they assured me the issue would be sorted, and then a week later I got another bill.

Seriously. EE can go **** themselves.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I moved from EE to O2 because it was so bad. I was a long time T Mobile customer and enjoyed the shared Orange network coverage, but things went downhill when they formed EE. It was very early on in their transformation but at the end of the day I was paying for a contract and didn't wish to experience teething problems when paying full price. Its bad to hear they are still one of the most complained about networks.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I'm on EE (Through Orange) and switched from O2 last year.

I used to get the same signal issues with you, where my phone would show GREAT signal, and 3G/Data but ZERO data would actually load. Toggling flight mode off/on usually helps, but even then sometimes it doesn't.

It hasn't been bad for the last couple of weeks though, so maybe it's fixed.

The thing is it has happened to my friend on his iPhone 5 (on the Three network) so I wasn't sure if it was restricted to EE or the iPhone 5.

When it happens it's usually during a really important day when I need my data (e.g. in a new city or traveling). Touchwood it's ok from now on, it's been a while since the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.