Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I've been watching this board since the new Mac Mini was announced and I've been shocked by the eerie silence about the new pricing on the Mac Mini. It is very clearly a worse deal than the last model was when it was released. Or even the last model more recently.

After upgrading to 4GB RAM, the new model is $799. You also get: C2D 2.4ghz, 320GB hdd, 320M graphics

The old model was $799 for 4GB RAM, C2D 2.53ghz, 320 GB hdd, 9400M graphics.

Besides the evolutionary revision of graphics, the model from a year ago is just as well equipped or even faster. Even if you say that you only need 2GB of RAM, the old $599 model was still a better deal when it was released than the new one is now.

I don't give much value to the new form factor or ports. Smaller is nice, but it was already very small, and the miniDVI port was probably more useful than the HDMI port given that you could already get a miniDP to HDMI adapter.

Yes I know its Apple and you can buy in to their system or you can choose not to, and I'm not comparing it to Windows computers. I'm comparing it to previous Macs. The trend is usually for Macs to become better values. This new Mac Mini is not a step in that trend.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Fixed that for you. The Mini is clearly being marketed as a media box or HTPC at this point, so the HDMI port is significant.

We have yet to see how it will handle challenging 1080p video. The last model didn't play so well with Blu-ray. It would be a real bummer if the "HDTV" support on the new Mac Mini is still limited to be able to play the iTMS 720p h.264 video.

rwcooper

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I'm very disappointed with the new mini. I was hoping for the same form factor and case with faster processor, more memory and larger hard drive at the same or lower price. The mini seems to be heading in a direction I don't want to go. I'm sorry now that I waited for this mini to be released before buying. I'm going to see if I can find one of the previous models.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Not only is it overpriced and older technology...

...people are reporting that Apple forgot to make the base rubber again and the new one "slides all over the desk".

Lovely.

I'd stay away. This feels like some minor tweaks and a price adjustment will come before the year is up.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
rwcooper said:
I'm very disappointed with the new mini. I was hoping for the same form factor and case with faster processor, more memory and larger hard drive at the same or lower price. The mini seems to be heading in a direction I don't want to go. I'm sorry now that I waited for this mini to be released before buying. I'm going to see if I can find one of the previous models.

Exactly. Old Mini refurbs just became the cats meow.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
tuna said:
We have yet to see how it will handle challenging 1080p video. The last model didn't play so well with Blu-ray. It would be a real bummer if the "HDTV" support on the new Mac Mini is still limited to be able to play the iTMS 720p h.264 video.

Agreed mostly. I did find that the last Mini's combined with Plex that used hardware decoding (beta release) did an awesome job on my high bit rate 1080p.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Your comparison of the new $699 Mac mini to the older $799 model doesn't make much sense. With the new model bumped up to 4GB, the only advantage of the older model is 133mhz on the C2D which isn't a big deal.

I'd gladly exchange the higher clock speed for the HDMI Port, SD Card Slot, easier accessibility for upgrades, upgraded GPU, and revised enclosure of the newer model.

That said, I find the unit to be quite expensive for what it is, with my only major disappointment in not coming with 4GB standard (Blu-ray would be nice, but i wasn't expecting it at all). However despite its 'value' (or lack there of) there isn't anything else like it available (Don't count the Dell Zinos, thats not quite the same).

This is the perfect solution for someone wanting an HTPC or for someone who has an existing KBM setup and prefers OSX.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

Really? I didn't have an issue playing 1080p content on my 2.0GHz C2D Mac Mini.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Your comparison of the new $699 Mac mini to the older $799 model doesn't make much sense. With the new model bumped up to 4GB, the only advantage of the older model is 133mhz on the C2D which isn't a big deal.

Right but the old model had come out nearly a year ago. A year ago you got a better Mac Mini for the same money, then you do now.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
After upgrading to 4GB RAM, the new model is $799. You also get: C2D 2.4ghz, 320GB hdd, 320M graphics

The old model was $799 for 4GB RAM, C2D 2.53ghz, 320 GB hdd, 9400M graphics.

Personally I'd upgrade the CPU and buy memory at cheapram dot com

So for $850 ... C2D 2.66ghz, 320GB hdd, 320M graphics

Though at that price, I'd wait for refurbs or get a plastic MacBook. :(

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I was initially excited, and wanted one real bad. But now that I think about it I'm not considering one. It's too expensive for what you get. Plus it's very hard to replace the hard drive if necessary. The slippery base isn't really a problem. Low profile stick on rubber feet will solve that problem..

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
I do feel that the Mac mini price hike was too much (not to mention the student discount is now $50 instead of $100).

The new Mac mini runs extremely cool (and silent). I left it running all night and the case temperature at its hotest point was only 86F. The Apple TV, by comparison, ran as hot as 130F.

The Mac mini also comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter. You need a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter anyway on the previous Mac mini.

You can see more at my unboxing vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxnsj1Xx1tc

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

RAM isn't cheap right now and it hasn't been that way for nearly a year.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
The previous Unibody plastic Macbook was on sale for $759 on the refurb site until it sold out. It sold out very quickly mind you.

Even the old power brick got warm.
The one mitigating factor is that the entire upper case is aluminum. Still, readings are needed before judgment, I think.

Interestingly, the refurb price for the now previous model mini has not been dropped. Usually Apple cuts the price of older models even further. Maybe when this one gets into refurb things will change but somehow I doubt it.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just a guess, but I'd expect a price drop or RAM bump right in time for the holidays. The early adopters as usual pay for immediacy and those who wait get the better deal. This has been Apple's MO for years. Why would it be nay different now?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just a guess, but I'd expect a price drop or RAM bump right in time for the holidays. The early adopters as usual pay for immediacy and those who wait get the better deal. This has been Apple's MO for years. Why would it be nay different now?

$60 now for 2gb, so christmas sales likely will be $50-60 for 4gb sodimm modules.

Unless prices drop before then. Slim chance the 4gb modules become the $10-20 cheapies (probably desktop versions), though it is probably going to be 1 and 2gb modules again down there.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX

Is this true? From the Mac models (I'm not including iPhones, iPods, etc) I have always watched, nothing seems to ever change on these until a new model comes out. From what I have seen it seems Apple never runs sales or makes configuration changes until the next model comes, and in the Mini's case, I can't see that happening for a long time.

I could be wrong (and hoping that I am) but it seems to me that Apple's pricing and specs are set in stone until the next revision.

As for pricing, the Mini Server model's price was unchanged and received the upgrades - so I think that is a fair deal. My only gripe with the base Mini is that it should have come with 4GB, or the price should have been $100 cheaper. If you are going for 8GB eventually, then the whether the base came with 2GB or 4GB makes no difference.

I'm just happy to see that the new Mini's hard drive is accessible, as that would have been the deal breaker for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.