Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elessar25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Are you trying to decide between updating a phone now, or waiting for the 5s release because of iOS 7?

I'm trying my best to leave Sprint ASAP. I am pretty certain that I want to join T-Mobile b/c they are rock-solid in the area where I'm moving to (Phoenix). I've used a ton of phones and platforms over the past 2 years: Blackberry, Windows Phone 7.5, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S. For the past 6 months, I've been using the Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks to my experiences with all the major platforms, I've formed a pretty comprehensive opinion on using them. First of all, I kinda sorta detest Android. Slow, heavy, and buggy. Only tangible value added over iPhone is Google Now and an awesome Gmail experience. I loved the iPhone 4S, but I found iOS SOOO boring. But, then again, I really miss having a buttery smooth OS experience that only iOS and Windows Phone can provide.

It is an annoying time right now to be signing up with any carrier, since the 5S is only months away or (if I go that route) Windows Phone devices will likewise be coming out with the Snapdragon 800 SoC, which just came out yesterday and outperforms pretty much everything currently on the market.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm trying my best to leave Sprint ASAP. I am pretty certain that I want to join T-Mobile b/c they are rock-solid in the area where I'm moving to (Phoenix). I've used a ton of phones and platforms over the past 2 years: Blackberry, Windows Phone 7.5, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S. For the past 6 months, I've been using the Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks to my experiences with all the major platforms, I've formed a pretty comprehensive opinion on using them. First of all, I kinda sorta detest Android. Slow, heavy, and buggy. Only tangible value added over iPhone is Google Now and an awesome Gmail experience. I loved the iPhone 4S, but I found iOS SOOO boring. But, then again, I really miss having a buttery smooth OS experience that only iOS and Windows Phone can provide.

It is an annoying time right now to be signing up with any carrier, since the 5S is only months away or (if I go that route) Windows Phone devices will likewise be coming out with the Snapdragon 800 SoC, which just came out yesterday and outperforms pretty much everything currently on the market.
I just upgraded to a 5 yesterday, even though (as you say, another model is on its way). The 5s may be able to do a few things the 5 can't, but the same can be said of many upgrades.

In my opinion, the bottom line is whether or not the phone you use serves your needs. Finding a good carrier is a different issue.

The reason I upgraded was because I got $160.00 for my 4s, which would enable me to have access to LTE. Being on a tight budget, I felt that was my best move. If I had waited until November, getting the phone would have cost me a lot more. I walked out of the store with a new 5 for $47.00 If the 5s comes with fingerprint ability, great for those that want to have the latest and supposed greatest right away.

If you have the trying to keep up with technology mindset, it will drive you crazy.

Have fun with what you have. :)

ac4155

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Everything announced so far will work fine with the iPhone 5.
Anything that is in iOS 7 that can't work with the iPhone 5 won't be shown/ announced until the announcement of the next iPhone, just like with Siri's introduction.

It's all very well saying Siri only ran on the latest phone and not older models, but everything announced pre-iPhone 4s still worked on the 4. It was effectively an iPhone 4S feature, rather than an iOS feature at the time of its introduction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.