Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seesaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Oz
I moved 1 of 2 iTunes Music folders from the boot Volume to another Volume - deleting the original, but leaving the iTunes folder/library

I dropped the moved iTunes folder onto the Library folder in the open iTunes Window

Thinking a smart play list of recently added would indicate duplication - which it did by exclamation marks - I found that they could not be deleted from there but only from the main Library playlist :mad:

Is there a way to batch delete all the exclamation marked files?

Not wanting to go thru them individually to delete, I later switched iTunes off - and now on restart all the exclamation marks are gone!!

Does anyone have a hint about how to efficiently move, update the Library and delete duplication??

tia

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
First, if you haven't done so already, go to:

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

Uncheck: Keep iTunes Music folder organized
Uncheck: Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library

Second, if you know which files had the (!) beside each song, delete them.

But I would suggest to refresh the iTunes Library so you can keep track of your songs easier.

(1) Select every song in your Library (quick way: Select first song and shift-select last song) and tap the delete key.

If you get a message saying:
"Some of the selected files are located in your iTunes Music folder. Would you like to move these files to the Trash?", click "No".

(2) Go to: iTunes > File > Add To Library...

(3) In the navigation window, double-click the folder with your music.

--

Anyone, who does not intentionally take too long to do steps (1) through (3), should be able to complete the process in no more than 5 minutes.

seesaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Oz
Originally posted by King Cobra
First, if you haven't done so already, go to:

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

Uncheck: Keep iTunes Music folder organized
Uncheck: Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library

But I would suggest to refresh the iTunes Library so you can keep track of your songs easier.

Decided to to a complete Refresh as you advised

Discovered the use of the Export/Import of the Library.xml file
-

- In Preferences/ Advanced - located the moved iTunes Music file
- Then Consolidated Library
- Turned off those Advanced options you listed
- Exported the XML,
-Then cleared iTunes off all Libraries/Lists
-Imported the XML
-then re-enabled the "Advanced" Options

Now all are properly referenced without duplication :)

And thanks for the select->shift-click trick - will be handy for any future errant dupes! ;)

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
Originally posted by seesaw
Decided to to a complete Refresh as you advised

And thanks for the select->shift-click trick - will be handy for any future errant dupes! ;)

To add to this: Apple-A will also select all records (much faster) and holding down the Apple Key while clicking individual records will allow you to modify many records at the same time which are not in a contiguous order.

These will work in any application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.