Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinaut59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Hi all,
recently I bought a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13". The laptop runs great! its very fast for basic and some intensive tasks, but as we all know, these laptops are not great at gaming. I didn't buy the laptop to game, but I do like doing it a bit on the side. Anyway, to get to the point, can you use an eGPU with the Thunderbolt 1 port on this MacBook Pro? I've heard on some forums that you can, while others will say you can't. I know that it will be significantly slower than the Thunderbolt 3 newer laptops, and have less bandwidth, but perhaps it won't be that bad if I got the right components.

Currently to game, I use both Nvidia GeForce Now (which works great), and sometimes I just play games on Windows Boot Camp (mostly Fortnite) with settings either low or off, gets me 30 fps. I know probably the smartest idea would be just to build a gaming pc, I don't game that much to the point where that would really make sense. Plus, if an eGPU does work with my Mac, I would be able to use it with other demanding applications as well (Adobe Premier, etc.), which would be a great value.

Thanks in advance

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
It's possible, there are script floating around that can disable apple's TB3 only parameters.

Remember that for TB1, one device can only use half it's speed, and there is a 20% protocol overhead for the language that TB uses to communicate, so TB1 runs at 4Gb/s and sends then receives one after the other. This last point is key, because it effectively means that it's 2Gb/s. This is in comparison to a normal half speed PCI-e slot giving 8Gb/s.

Your GPU MUST have onboard GDDR or it will be slower than your built in GPU or it must send image data down and up that cable a minimum of 3 times a frame. Raw uncompressed 1080p video at 60 frames per second is about 3Gbps by itself so this is COSTLY.

rockinaut59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
It's possible, there are script floating around that can disable apple's TB3 only parameters.

Remember that for TB1, one device can only use half it's speed, and there is a 20% protocol overhead for the language that TB uses to communicate, so TB1 runs at 4Gb/s and sends then receives one after the other. This last point is key, because it effectively means that it's 2Gb/s. This is in comparison to a normal half speed PCI-e slot giving 8Gb/s.

Your GPU MUST have onboard GDDR or it will be slower than your built in GPU or it must send image data down and up that cable a minimum of 3 times a frame. Raw uncompressed 1080p video at 60 frames per second is about 3Gbps by itself so this is COSTLY.
[doublepost=1532373561][/doublepost]Hi, thanks for the info. So I know that I could definitely find a GPU with GDDR, and I’m assuming that I could buy a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure and use the TB3>TB2/1 adapter. But where are the work around scripts to turn the TB3-only block off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.