Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FCPXTREME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I am looking for some guidance/advice on the most prudent route to take to adding an eGPU to my MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018.

I have done a lot of research but am finding it hard to arrive at the best solution. The AMD RX 6800 XT/6900 XT cards look good and appear to have just become supported in MacOS 11.4 so maybe that's a good option?

Not really too fussed about cost as long is it does the job and ideally I would like to improve the performance using FCP (10.5.2), After Effects and Unreal Engine 4.26/5.

The Razer Core X Chroma appears to be a good enclosure, I just need help with what to put in it.

Thanks in advance.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Razer core chroma is good and the amd 6xxx is good too. You cant go wrong with this combination. The best results with egpu are with external monitor but computing and rendering works very good too. The connection in osx is plug and play, in bootcamp need some fine tune with bootcampdrivers.com. Only drawback are the current gpu prices which are insane because of the crypto miners, but you mentioned that cost is no issue…
Note, be sure that you set the aplications to use egpus..

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
You can't buy a RX 6000 card sadly at the moment, there are miners and shortages which have made them near impossible to find and/or at hiked up prices. RX 5000 and the VII are just as bad too.

I'd recommend a Radeon Pro W5700, it isn't hit by miners and has full support in macOS and Windows.

FCPXTREME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
You can't buy a RX 6000 card sadly at the moment, there are miners and shortages which have made them near impossible to find and/or at hiked up prices. RX 5000 and the VII are just as bad too.

I'd recommend a Radeon Pro W5700, it isn't hit by miners and has full support in macOS and Windows.
Hey @theMarble. Thank you for the advice.
On the RX 6000 cards, would this not work - https://www.ebuyer.com/1260834-powe...6gb-graphics-card-axrx-6900xtu-16gbd6-3dhe-oc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.