Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Hi,

My situation started when I was backing up my designs on DVDs and the eject button was not working that I had to go manual eject. I was fiddling with the eject buttong and realize I have to press it hard in order for it to respond. I also popped the key out to inspect dirt to clean, but its clean. Does anyone have any recommendations how to fix this problem, mac pro is August so its still new. This keyboard problem seems to me unrealistic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Have you tried a different keyboard? You can decide whether or not it is a keyboard problem if you try it with a different keyboard.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
Is this with 10.4.9? I read many people are having problems with the eject key with this update. The solution many have found is to simply HOLD the key down for a couple of seconds.

Mike

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I noticed this last night after I updated to 10.4.9.
Instead of ejecting by taping the key, I now have to hold down the eject button for a very short period of time.

Maybe it's to stop people from accidentally ejecting a disc?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I agree with the posters above - I think this is a 10.4.9 "feature".

It also affects all the other shortcuts which use the eject button, like Cmd-Alt-Eject for sleep etc.

I guess we'll just have to get used to it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Don't panic. It is in fact a "feature". Actually... a feature that has been on all the PowerBooks and MacBooks for a long time. It only makes sense that Apple would put it on the desktop Macs. Think about it. It must be frustrating for some people when they're typing and they accidentally hit eject and the drive door opens. I've never accidentally hit the eject key but, I'm sure it happens to some people. I've always owned iBooks and PowerBooks so I'm used to this slight delay.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Had A Slightly Different Eject Problem - Wouldn't See The DVD Drive

I had to shut down and restart before I finally recovered my 10.4.9 system's ability to even see the DVD±RW Player. But my third party MacAlly iKey's F12 for eject is finally back in business.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
'Feature'

Hey,

I think I read somewhere about OS X that you actually had to hold the eject button for a tad longer than normal keys to operate. I read this about my Dual G5, but always thought 'I press the eject key like any other'

The idea is that it's the corner key - so is more likely to open when u don't want it to.

The update came last night. I too thought something was odd about my eject key. I was on a one-to-one training with an Apple Genius (through ProCare) and he taught me a great keyboard shortcut which involved the eject key.

Anyway, Eject key is supposed to be like that - its just it wasn't implemented before now.

F

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I actually like the new feature, although it does take a little getting used to. It never happened to me that often, but with the apple keyboard design having the eject key right on the corner, I can see a lot of people brushing it accidentally.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I just tried to use the eject key for the first time on my MP since 10.4.9, and it threw me off having to hold it.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
hmmm that scares me about updating to 10.4.9 i like it the way it is.....Maybe i will update and just get used too it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just tried to use the eject key for the first time on my MP since 10.4.9, and it threw me off having to hold it.

It also seems to remember now that there is no disk in the drive. The first time you hold the eject button down (with no disk in the drive) you get the eject noise; after that you don't.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
It also seems to remember now that there is no disk in the drive. The first time you hold the eject button down (with no disk in the drive) you get the eject noise; after that you don't.

My MacBook did this anyway? Until I sleeped it...then it didn't remember.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Don't panic. It is in fact a "feature". Actually... a feature that has been on all the PowerBooks and MacBooks for a long time. It only makes sense that Apple would put it on the desktop Macs. Think about it. It must be frustrating for some people when they're typing and they accidentally hit eject and the drive door opens. I've never accidentally hit the eject key but, I'm sure it happens to some people. I've always owned iBooks and PowerBooks so I'm used to this slight delay.

It was never present on my MacBook Pro until now.

I think this is a good change.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i agree, very good change, i used to hit the eject key all the time by accident... no more noise either when no cd is present! very NiCe!!!

Yeah I'd pressed the eject a couple of times before, especially when your going to hit backspace and your not paying attention.

This is much better. It did take me a while to work out yesterday why my mac pro eject wasn't responding as fast though.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I wonder if this setting can be changed in a plist or something. I kinda don't like it anymore. Especially because I have 2 drives so when I hit option eject... it has to be option-hold-eject. Gah... it's starting to annoy me now.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
yes... but

Since I updated to 10.4.9 my eject button requires a longer pressing period as well. I think this is a good feature but apple should have had introduced the user to this with an alert, because I thought something was going to be wrong with my keyboard. They always undervalue how maniac we can be... :D

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

I hate it so much when I accidentally ejected my disc in the middle of a read.

FUNKSTICK

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2006
UM.. is it just me?

NOW the eject key is restarting my MacPro. I've only had it since December. Just updated to 10.4.9 noticed and kinda appreciated the slow response of the key but now its restarting my machine in the middle of work. HELP. is it me? am I doing something wrong? is this some malware I accidentally installed? Help Help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.