Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
I asked previously here at MR about using custom icons in El Cap and was told that it is possible to temporarily shut off System Integrity Protection which permits you to change icons. That's good. What about setting new folders to always use custom icon by default? I use LiteIcon to perform this in Yosemite; what is the fix for El Cap, if there is any? I want to upgrade from Yosemite for many of El Cap's benefits, but I can't stand default Apple folders in Yosemite and El Cap. Argh!

System Integrity Protection

https://developer.apple.com/library...acOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX10_11.html

A new security policy that applies to every running process, including privileged code and code that runs out of the sandbox. The policy extends additional protections to components on disk and at run-time, only allowing system binaries to be modified by the system installer and software updates. Code injection and runtime attachments to system binaries are no longer permitted.​

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I asked previously here at MR about using custom icons in El Cap ...

you mean like this?

20338900163_97837b6047_c.jpg

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Boot into Recovery (hold down Command-R at startup until the Apple logo appears), and in Utilities > Terminal run the following to disable rootless:
Code:
csrutil disable
And to re-enable:
Code:
csrutil enable
After this it will be possible to change system folder icons.

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
you mean like this?

If the blue and white custom icon for your folders was automatically applied to new folders, yes. Not where you had to individually change each folder icon manually to the custom icon. If your custom folder icon for new folders was applied automatically for each new folder created, how did you set it up? In Yosemite, I use LiteIcon for creating Generic folders with custom icon automatically applied:

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 5.06.21 PM.png

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Boot into Recovery (hold down Command-R at startup until the Apple logo appears), and in Utilities > Terminal run the following to disable rootless:
Code:
csrutil disable
And to re-enable:
Code:
csrutil enable
After this it will be possible to change system folder icons.

Yes, thank you. But how is that going to work for creating new Generic folders with custom icon automatically applied? In Yosemite, I use LiteIcon and all new folders automatically have custom icon without me being required to change each new Generic folder icon manually.

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 5.06.21 PM.png

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
After disabling SIP I simply replaced the SystemVersion.plist with one "faking" OS X Yosemite, then ran LiteIcon to replace my folder and application icons and restored the original SystemVersion.plist when done.

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
After disabling SIP I simply replaced the SystemVersion.plist with one "faking" OS X Yosemite, then ran LiteIcon to replace my folder and application icons and restored the original SystemVersion.plist when done.

And this works for new Generic folders ⎯ they have the custom icon automatically applied for each new folder created? If yes, would you please post the code for your “fake” Yosemite plist? Please also tell me where I replace the SystemVersion plist, what folder it is in. Thank You.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
And this works for new Generic folders ⎯ they have the custom icon automatically applied for each new folder created? If yes, would you please post the code for your “fake” Yosemite plist? Please also tell me where I replace the SystemVersion plist, what folder it is in. Thank You.

The SystemVersion.plist is located under /System/Library/CoreServices and looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>15A263e</string>
<key>ProductCopyright</key>
<string>1983-2015 Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Mac OS X</string>
<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.11</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.11</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Just replace the two entries with "10.11" to "10.10" after having saved the original somewhere safe. Then run LiteIcon to change the icons of any folders or applications you like.

Reactions: Jess13

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
The SystemVersion.plist is located under /System/Library/CoreServices and looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
<string>15A263e</string>
<key>ProductCopyright</key>
<string>1983-2015 Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Mac OS X</string>
<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>
<string>10.11</string>
<key>ProductVersion</key>
<string>10.11</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Just replace the two entries with "10.11" to "10.10" after having saved the original somewhere safe. Then run LiteIcon to change the icons of any folders or applications you like.

Thank You, Very Much! Doing this first thing once El Cap is released publicly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.