Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelGR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
I'm considering an El Capitan fresh install to resolve a few minor issues that have shown up recently. My interest are Graphic Design and Auto Cad.

Mac Pro (early 2009 > 2010 EFI 5,1)
El Capitan v. 10.11.6
3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon (I have the 4.46 processor on a separate tray but it runs hotter)
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB
with Parallels and W10

Generally speaking, I'm happy with things the way they are. Fast machine. Gets the job done.
I like to stay up to date but this time around I don't feel like doing the leg work.
I'm not interested in 'bells and whistles' just speed and efficiency.
Are there any practical reasons to upgrade to a newer operating system?

Thanks for your time,
MGR

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm considering an El Capitan fresh install to resolve a few minor issues that have shown up recently. My interest are Graphic Design and Auto Cad.

Mac Pro (early 2009 > 2010 EFI 5,1)
El Capitan v. 10.11.6
3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon (I have the 4.46 processor on a separate tray but it runs hotter)
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB
with Parallels and W10

Generally speaking, I'm happy with things the way they are. Fast machine. Gets the job done.
I like to stay up to date but this time around I don't feel like doing the leg work.
I'm not interested in 'bells and whistles' just speed and efficiency.
Are there any practical reasons to upgrade to a newer operating system?

Thanks for your time,
MGR
Security updates? Current web browsers support?

Apple stopped supporting El Capitan in 2018, but still supports Sierra for some months, after September only High Sierra will be supported.

michaelGR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
Once that firmware upgrade is complete will I be unable to run El Capitan again? (in case I run into problems)

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
We tend to think about those machines as our daily drivers without really asking ourselves first if your Mac Pro is entirely dedicated to Autocad work.

If you don't use it to browse on the internet or other tasks which may expose you to security issues (and, most importantly, you're 100% satisfied with what you're using now), there's absolutely no reason to update.

I always like to say: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Although, if that's your main and only machine, then, absolutely, update ASAP as you're risking your data integrity to various security flaws.

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
El Cap works fine but some software has dropped support for the version and will throw up warnings or not work. The latest Safari and Fluid won't work, docker, and homebrew throw up warnings. There are no security updates anymore and you should prob disable hyperthreading in 10.14.5 first but for cad and graphic design El Cap should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.