Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Downloaded the El Capitan update this morning and started the install. It did its restart thing and has hung with the progress bar stuck at about 75%. It has stayed in the same place for over 4 hours. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? This is on a late 2011 MBP with 16gb and a Samsung SSD with over 100gb free. Upgrade is from 10.11.3. My current internet connection is a little slow but I was able to download the upgrade in an hour or so.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not recommending this, since not sure what might go wrong, but, ran into similar issue.

Machine downloaded & installed update. Rebooted to FileVault login screen. Signed on and the progress bar hung at about 75% for about an hour for me. At which point, I re-powered. Climbed to 75% again, hung for a short while, then brought up normal screens.

So far, not seeing any issues.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Never could get it to work at the location I was so I waited until I got home, plugged in my El Cap thumb drive and reinstalled from scratch. Restored everything and then tried the update again. All worked fine. Only significa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.