Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ishanderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
USA
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch Mid 2014)
Memory:8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Current: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
(25.59 GB free of 120.15 GB)

I downloaded the El Capitan installer package..
I select (1) run install and (2) agree to consent. Next step is (3) "Select disk where you would like to install OS X" This is where I'm stuck. I see only a green image of Macintosh HD grayed out. Under it says 120.15 GB total, 19.4 GB available. When I select it I see "This disk is used for Time Machine Backups" The install button is also inactive. I deleted the installer and redownloaded a new one after reboot but same problem. Ran diagnostic, it checked out fine. Any suggestions?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch Mid 2014)
Memory:8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Current: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
(25.59 GB free of 120.15 GB)

I downloaded the El Capitan installer package..
I select (1) run install and (2) agree to consent. Next step is (3) "Select disk where you would like to install OS X" This is where I'm stuck. I see only a green image of Macintosh HD grayed out. Under it says 120.15 GB total, 19.4 GB available. When I select it I see "This disk is used for Time Machine Backups" The install button is also inactive. I deleted the installer and redownloaded a new one after reboot but same problem. Ran diagnostic, it checked out fine. Any suggestions?

See here: Can't install Mavericks because "This disk is used for Time Machine backups"

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I use Time Machine but by external HD is not connected. I just turned off Time Machine like you suggested, restarted process, still seeing same thing. :(..

Sorry, I modified my post. I actually found a solution for it (see the link if you missed it).

ishanderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
USA
Sorry, I modified my post. I actually found a solution for it (see the link if you missed it).
Sounds like it could be a fix, he says "Open your HD folder and look for a backup folder there. Either delete it or move it to another drive." But I can't seem to find a backup file. Am I looking in the wrong place? Go>Home..?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Sounds like it could be a fix, he says "Open your HD folder and look for a backup folder there. Either delete it or move it to another drive." But I can't seem to find a backup file. Am I looking in the wrong place? Go>Home..?

You need to go Macintosh HD (Go > Computer).

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Wait, I do see Computer>MschintoshHD>Backups.backupd

Wait, I do see (Computer>MschintoshHD>Backups.backupbd>My Macbook Pro>2015-04-27/Latest) What is the purpose of this file? Is it dangerous to delete?

It is a backup. Time Machine creates this Backups.backupbd folder automatically. It is there where individual Time Machine backups are made. It is possible that you at one point accidentally enabled Time Machine on your internal drive while you were booted in another partition. Normally, it should not be possible to use your main drive as your backup drive as well. It should be safe to delete it, however, make sure that your external drive has a current backup.

Reactions: ishanderson

ishanderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
USA
It is a backup. Time Machine creates this Backups.backupbd folder automatically. It is there where individual Time Machine backups are made. It is possible that you at one point accidentally enabled Time Machine on your internal drive while you were booted in another partition. Normally, it should not be possible to use your main drive as your backup drive as well. It should be safe to delete it, however, make sure that your external drive has a current backup.
Wow and it's a huge file. That's what been taking up so much mystery space in my "other" storage! I did have a different macbook for a couple of weeks that was glitchy so I swapped it for this one. I believe they transferred all of my stuff over at that time. Could that have been a file from then? Anyways, it's backed up on my external HD and I am SO GLAD to have the extra free storage (bonus!) I now have the option to install! Thank you thank you thank you!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Wow and it's a huge file. That's what been taking up so much mystery space in my "other" storage! I did have a different macbook for a couple of weeks that was glitchy so I swapped it for this one. I believe they transferred all of my stuff over at that time. Could that have been a file from then? Anyways, it's backed up on my external HD and I am SO GLAD to have the extra free storage (bonus!) I now have the option to install! Thank you thank you thank you!

I don’t know what they did, but perhaps that is what happened. The backup folder should just not be on your main partition. I don’t even want to know how Time Machine handles this. I suspect that it backs up that enormous folder too if you’re unlucky.

Reactions: ishanderson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.