Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Sorry for the staggering levels of ineptitude that will come to light here.

I have my mum's unwanted iMac (late 2015), which came with El Capitan installed. I wiped it ready for use - and without being aware, doing so involved upgrading it to Big Sur. All good. Later, I thought downgrading it back might make it a speedier machine, so I somehow managed to downgrade it back to El Capitan - which did prove quicker. It was never my main machine though, so I decided to sell it, given how much use it was getting. So I upgraded it to Monterey; utterly failed to sell it - and so now want to downgrade it back to El Capitan because Monterey is painfully slow on it.

But: the installers I've downloaded from Apple for El Capitan - and Mojave - are both 'too old' to run when Monterey is the installed OS - while the Big Sur installer can't be used either because Monterey is newer than it (duh). I fear that I've permanently hobbled the machine by putting Monterey on it (it doesn't handle it very well) and there's no way back!

Any advice? Assume I'm an utter novice...

Reactions: Reggaenald

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Make a USB installer. Then boot off it, wipe the drive in Disk Utility and start over. I would go with at least High Sierra or Catalina. So, you can run current software easily enough. You just need to download the installer then make use Terminal. I couldn't say if there'll be issues with this in Monterey creating an old installer.

Although if you add a USB 3.0 SSD and clone your boot drive to it. Then use it for booting. Your iMac should be plenty snappy in Monterey.

Reactions: Reggaenald

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Make a USB installer. Then boot off it, wipe the drive in Disk Utility and start over. I would go with at least High Sierra or Catalina. So, you can run current software easily enough. You just need to download the installer then make use Terminal. I couldn't say if there'll be issues with this in Monterey creating an old installer.

Although if you add a USB 3.0 SSD and clone your boot drive to it. Then use it for booting. Your iMac should be plenty snappy in Monterey.
Thank you :) So I've formatted a USB drive and am currently downloading the OS installer. But do I just drag it onto the USB drive? How does installing it from that differ from installing it from the very computer it's connected to?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thank you :) So I've formatted a USB drive and am currently downloading the OS installer. But do I just drag it onto the USB drive? How does installing it from that differ from installing it from the very computer it's connected to?

The install USB is basically a light version of macOS. With a few utilities for managing your disks, OS and install. So, you don't have to worry about compatibility of the install program in the download with your current macOS version.

As @Nermal said. Follow the instructions.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
The install USB is basically a light version of macOS. With a few utilities for managing your disks, OS and install. So, you don't have to worry about compatibility of the install program in the download with your current macOS version.

As @Nermal said. Follow the instructions.
OK, so I've got as far as getting the install app in my Applications folder, entering the command in Terminal, then entering my password - but the reply is '[/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.a does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.'

I can't see that I've strayed from the createinstallmedia instructions thus far...

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
OK, so I've got as far as getting the install app in my Applications folder, entering the command in Terminal, then entering my password - but the reply is '[/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.a does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.'

I can't see that I've strayed from the createinstallmedia instructions thus far...
Update: the Apple URL I originally used to get the Terminal command had en-us in it: I changed it to en-gb, and am now making progress.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Update: the Apple URL I originally used to get the Terminal command had en-us in it: I changed it to en-gb, and am now making progress.
OK! I'm at the point where I need to select the disk where I want to install OS X - but the only disk available to select is the USB drive I'm trying to boot from. Can't get any further... Can anyone help?

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
OK! I'm at the point where I need to select the disk where I want to install OS X - but the only disk available to select is the USB drive I'm trying to boot from. Can't get any further... Can anyone help?
Don't worry (if anyone's still reading this :)) - I'm getting historical help from Apple support forums re: Disk Utility/partitioning, etc - and I think I've cracked it. Thanks Velocity and Nermal for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.