Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
So far with those testing this out, would be interested to hear about the stability thus far of this first developer beta build, and any major bugs or issues that have been noticed or are worth nothing with this first build. Thanks.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
I've had a few unexplainable crashes, the mouse pointer is a bit jerky sometimes, scrolling sometimes goes in hyper speed mode when you try to scroll normal, but other than that it works pretty good. Especially for a dp1. And speed is so much better than Yosemite I'm running it as my main os.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It works pretty well, but I let mine sleep overnight and when I came back, the BT mouse connection was lost and wouldn't reconnect until rebooting. The system responded just fine to the connected wired mouse. It seems it was a BT issue.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The main issue I would be concerned about is apps hanging/freezing up or quitting which seems a common problem with first run developer preview-level releases. Usually when the public beta comes around, everything is running pretty smoothly...

Reactions: crjackson2134

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I don't have any stability issues. So far it's working good. I had to update LittleSnitch to a beta version but this was expected. I'm running it on a rMBP and iMac. I use Lightroom and programming softwares & photoshop.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I don't have any stability issues. So far it's working good. I had to update LittleSnitch to a beta version but this was expected. I'm running it on a rMBP and iMac. I use Lightroom and programming softwares & photoshop.
I have hang/crash/spinning ballon wake up from sleeping over night. Thought that resetting NVRAM would fix it, it did for one day. Hang returned the next day.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Mine works fine, minus QuickTime crashes when screen recording. I really like the new beachball, looks like apple has finally phased out Aqua

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I really like the new blackball, looks like apple has finally phased out Aqua
What gave you the hint, Yosemite's entire UI minus the beachball? :)

10.11 has been a nice improvement, especially on my old late 2008 MacBook Air. The Disk Utility is a bit unfinished, and I'm assuming that will change with the next beta release. I also get the occasional error message and WebKit crash in Safari, but most of the time it works fine.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've found it pretty stable with a few minor irritations:

Good
1) Bluetooth connectivity to my mouse and trackpad is vastly improved
2) Performance on my 4K monitor is vastly improved
3) Mail works properly with my Google Apps account (including archiving)
4) Works with all the apps I use on a daily basis (including VMWare Fusion)

Bad
1) Sometimes my MBP won't come out of sleep in a morning and I have to force-reboot
2) Safari is pretty unstable with some sites (incorrect rendering on several sites and crashes when scrolling through Google Photos) - Chrome seems to work fine though
3) Time Machine to a time capsule seems to fail and necessitate a full new backup more than under yosemite
4) I've had a couple of freezes since I've been using it - needed a hard reboot

As a first Beta I'm impressed - I've found it stable enough to use as a daily OS

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm having an issue where I can't get VLC 1.1.9 to Go Command-3 "Fit to Screen" - full screen windowed video. Double-size works fine but Command-3 doesn't size to full screen, it just does nothing. I haven't tested it out with the newer 2.0 version yet, perhaps that issue is fixed. Anybody else experience this with VLC?

The issue only presents in El Capitan...in Yosemite everything works as should...

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Mine works fine, minus QuickTime crashes when screen recording. I really like the new blackball, looks like apple has finally phased out Aqua

Aqua is a UI paradigm, not a "look." OS X Yosemite and El Capitan are unmistakably Aqua-based UI's—just heavily reskinned from the old Aqua.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Here are the issues I have experienced:

- inability to connect to certain enterprise WiFi
- mouse freezing occasionally (can be fixed by activating mission control)
- random hangups when coming from sleep
- rare short UI freezes
- random Safari crashes, inability to work with certain websites
- some (older) applications show severe problems with drawing their UI

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I tested for a week but went back to 10.8.4. It was fine at the beginning but experienced safari issues and the computer froze two times, I was force to power-off. It will be a good release when it ships. I still have it on my iMac 2008.

HuRR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2003
Stability has been great. I just installed DP2 on my MP 5,1 dock is not translucent. Is it just not supported? Weird because I had it on Yosemite and I think on DP1. I did check the Accessibility settings. Anyone else experiences this?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Stability has been great. I just installed DP2 on my MP 5,1 dock is not translucent. Is it just not supported? Weird because I had it on Yosemite and I think on DP1. I did check the Accessibility settings. Anyone else experiences this?

The dock is translucent on my 15" rMBP as it was in DP1. DP2 also seems to have fixed a lot of the Safari issues so I'm happy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.