Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arthur411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
Sydney, Australia
I can't complete the install...!
I have followed all steps on the Apple support site and from MacWorld.
I have succeeded in downloading the El Capitan DMG, installing to the Apps folder, correctly formatting a 64GB flash drive, using Terminal to create the bootable USB installer.
The I place the usb in the 2009's port, power-up with alt depressed, it shows me 2 options, I take the ElCapitan install one, it progresses to English selection page, I hit return and it opens the OSX Utilities page, I select Install OS X and hit continue... it then opens the Install OS X El Capitan page (this is where I think I have it nailed!!!)... I hit continue, agree with the licensing agreement, then select the Install OS X El Capitan option and hit install... it starts and then stops with a small window saying "This copy of the install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may be corrupted or tampered with during downloading." I hit OK and it takes me back to the OSX Utilities page...

Oh yeah... the El Capitan dmg I downloaded from the Apple website

And... I have had 2 calls to Apple who haven't been able to offer and solution...

I have tried all other start options that haven't worked as they take me to a Mavericks install which just aborts...

I have tried 3 times to download El Capitan on different machines and then to create fresh bootable USB installers onto different use sticks... but the end is the same...

Can anyone assist with a solution??? Help!

Last edited:

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
  • Possibly wrong destination:
    • after agreeing the license, select your main hard drive partition (not the installation media)
  • Could be an expired certificate:
  1. disable Wi-Fi and remove the ethernet cable if connected
  2. in the OS X Utilities, open Terminal and set an older date like Jul 15, 2018, using this command date 0715000018
  3. exit Terminal and continue to installation
  4. you may also try other dates from 2019 to 2023

Arthur411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
Sydney, Australia
  • Possibly wrong destination:
    • after agreeing the license, select your main hard drive partition (not the installation media)
  • Could be an expired certificate:
  1. disable Wi-Fi and remove the ethernet cable if connected
  2. in the OS X Utilities, open Terminal and set an older date like Jul 15, 2018, using this command date 0715000018
  3. exit Terminal and continue to installation
  4. you may also try other dates from 2019 to 2023
thanks... I tried all this, changed dates and destination folder, wifi off, etc and still the same problem!... "This copy of the install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may be corrupted or tampered with during downloading."

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
There’s a date issue with El Capitan installers. I think it has to do with a certificate related to when it was downloaded that has expired. Downloading form Apple May fix it. Setting the date back to (whenever ElCap was released) may work. Do some searching on that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.