Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
So from the reviews I have read El Capitian is lag free in the GUI. I am running a 15" rMBP and still have really glitchy switches between spaces when using the Intel HD4000 Graphics. Is this possibly due to it being a upgrade versus fresh install. People who with 2012 rMBP that don't have glitching can you give me some feedback.

(Yes, I am aware it's beta...I have just heard many people saying it runs smoother then Yosemite and that is not my experience so far)

edit 2... The lag between spaces seems especially bad when it involves full screen mail app. Anyone else have this?

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It is not lag free. No OS is completely lag free. It is, however, better than Yosemite.

I have some of the lag you described when switching to/from the Mail app on my 2013 13" rMBP with Iris Pro, and while it seems to be improved in beta 2, it's still there to some extent.

Edit: However, for me most of the time the transitions are smooth.

Last edited:

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
So from the reviews I have read El Capitian is lag free in the GUI. I am running a 15" rMBP and still have really glitchy switches between spaces when using the Intel HD4000 Graphics. Is this possibly due to it being a upgrade versus fresh install. People who with 2012 rMBP that don't have glitching can you give me some feedback.

(Yes, I am aware it's beta...I have just heard many people saying it runs smoother then Yosemite and that is not my experience so far)

edit 2... The lag between spaces seems especially bad when it involves full screen mail app. Anyone else have this?

I'm not sure what's wrong but just update from DB1 to DB2 El Capitan and I've been experiencing more lag when moving between spaces and lag in Safari while scrolling. DB2 must have changed something pretty dramatic... Anyone else experiencing this? Btw, I'm using 13" 2015 i7 3.1/16gb/512ssd I'll try to reset PRAM again and hoping that will fix these lagginess....

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
i have a 2012 rMBP max specs, and 10.11 overall, is quite smooth. It's not perfect, but seems smoother than yosemite. Every now and then it hangs completely, for a second or 2 (at least on beta 1, not sure if thats gone already with db2, i just installed it 30min ago)

I havent done any specific tests to see how it differs when its running of the nvidia gpu or the intel hd4000 one.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
My gaming performance just took a huge dump with DP2, was playing Dead Effect earlier today and it was running beautifully now after I installed DP2 it lags to the point of unplayability as well as displaying all kinds of graphical glitches.

mango316

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
So, not really an answer, but after I rebooted it again, things are looking smooth. Better then Yosemite on beta 2

I also tried to SMC reset and PRAM reset couple of time and it seems more fluid shifting b/t spaces and Safari scrolling better now too! :)

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I notice significant drops in performance whenever I have two safari tabs in split screen.

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
My gaming performance just took a huge dump with DP2, was playing Dead Effect earlier today and it was running beautifully now after I installed DP2 it lags to the point of unplayability as well as displaying all kinds of graphical glitches.
That's not encouraging. On DP1 I know Blizzard games ran fine (probably same as yosemite 10.4) I havent tried them on DP2 yet...

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
My experience on el capitan has been very positive .My 13 inch 2014 Air with 4gb ram just flies. Everything is smooth and animations are fluid. Apps open very quickly . The overall experience on the public beta 1 has been awesome. It feels as good as a GM. Not noticed bugs so far. Cant say the same about the public beta of iOS 9 though

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm really impressed about how it runs on my 2010 Macbook. Faster animations and responsiveness. The new font helps too on the non retina displays so I'm really happy. I was on the Yosemite public beta too and this is a far better beginning compared.

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
For the most part, I have been impressed at how it runs on my mid-2007 MacBook Pro (2.2GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT). The only places that I have seen noticeable lag is in Safari, which beach balls occasionally on some sites, and when I have two applications in the side-by-side view scrolling gets a bit janky in both of them.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing - not too shabby for an 8-year-old MacBook!

iTosaf

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015

OS X El Capitan is all about speed. Majority of it comes from "METAL" - a much better and faster use of your existing graphics card as well as offloading few different tasks from your CPU to the GPU.
That's why the Graphics Card type you have installed is crucial for that type of speed improvement.
The better graphics card you system has, the more speed improvement you will notice.
Built in Intel Graphics are not the greatest way of getting these results.
My system is: iMac 5k i7 4GHZ 8GB RAM m295x 3TB Fusion drive.
I Benchmarked my mac before and after installing the new El Capitan.
Can report: it is MUCH FASTER than before. Not only how if feels and responds, but you can also feel it just surfing the web. The pages load much faster.
Here are the results of Before and After El Capitan install using the same hardware.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
OS X El Capitan is all about speed. Majority of it comes from "METAL" - a much better and faster use of your existing graphics card as well as offloading few different tasks from your CPU to the GPU.
That's why the Graphics Card type you have installed is crucial for that type of speed improvement.
The better graphics card you system has, the more speed improvement you will notice.
Built in Intel Graphics are not the greatest way of getting these results.
My system is: iMac 5k i7 4GHZ 8GB RAM m295x 3TB Fusion drive.
I Benchmarked my mac before and after installing the new El Capitan.
Can report: it is MUCH FASTER than before. Not only how if feels and responds, but you can also feel it just surfing the web. The pages load much faster.
Here are the results of Before and After El Capitan install using the same hardware.

Considering a lot of people have seen major improvements in Macs before 2012, Metal is a small factor since pre-2012 Macs do not use Metal. It's not Metal that's improving the performance, it's the optimization of the bottom OS stacks that's improving the performance.

In addition, Sunspider is a bad benchmark to use as it has nothing to do with the OS overall, it's just a benchmark meant to test certain tasks in the browser. You can get the same performance by downloading Safari 9 beta on Yosemite.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
El Capitian doesn't run any better or worse than Yosemite on both my iMac (27" i7 2.8 6970m) and MacBook Pro (17") both are 09 models.

Yosemite always ran well on both and not seeing any difference with El Capitan.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Could it be due to spotlight reindexing after the update. Happens to me all the time on any version after OS updates.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I find it significantly speedier in mundane day to day tasks than Yosemite was. On both my 2008 Mac Pro and my 2014 Mac Pro.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.