Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
So basically I have a Mac Pro 2.1 8 core 32gb ram.

I've spent months trying to upgrade to Yosemite using SFOTT and other various software to no avail.

I gave in and bought one of those SSD's on eBay which have El Capitan pre installed especially for the old macs.

I've plugged the new SSD in and it booted up to El Capitan perfectly!

The only issue is I cannot login because the mouse and keyboard doesn't seem to be recognised.

I've done a PRAM reset and have tried unplugging everything and leaving it for about 5 minutes. The mouse and keyboard works fine on startup and in my 10.10 install, it's just El Capitan that I'm having trouble with.

Is there something I was meant to do?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Can we assume you are using a USB mouse and Keyboard, you never specified.
Have you tried a SMC reset?
-------------------------------
Reset SMC of a Mac Pro.
On any desktop Mac, here is how you reset the System Management Controller:

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Disconnect the power cord
  3. Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 10 seconds
  4. Release the button
  5. Reattach the power cables, wait 5 seconds and then boot the Mac as usual

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Can we assume you are using a USB mouse and Keyboard, you never specified.
Have you tried a SMC reset?
-------------------------------
Reset SMC of a Mac Pro.
On any desktop Mac, here is how you reset the System Management Controller:

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Disconnect the power cord
  3. Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 10 seconds
  4. Release the button
  5. Reattach the power cables, wait 5 seconds and then boot the Mac as usual
Yes, it's USB. I have performed all resets. I've done some more research and discovered that El Capitan used a different USB stack to the old OS. As far as I've learnt achieving the use of USB involves modifying kext files within the OS. Sadly the information on this is rather vague and often starts in the middle with no clear information on what software I need and what I actually need to do.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yes, it's USB. I have performed all resets. I've done some more research and discovered that El Capitan used a different USB stack to the old OS. As far as I've learnt achieving the use of USB involves modifying kext files within the OS. Sadly the information on this is rather vague and often starts in the middle with no clear information on what software I need and what I actually need to do.

That sounds like something that should have been done on that SSD that was marketed specifically to be compatible with old Macs. I'd press that seller for support since it is in fact not compatible with your old Mac.

Bmxlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
That sounds like something that should have been done on that SSD that was marketed specifically to be compatible with old Macs. I'd press that seller for support since it is in fact not compatible with your old Mac.

I have gotten in contact with the seller and they claim they have sold many of these SSD's without any problems and this is the first time they've heard of this problem. I'm hoping someone on here who knows about the process can chime in as I've seen many people fixing the problem but it is very unclear how.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Can you do an option boot and see the disks to boot from? This would mean the hardware is ok.
Do you still have a disk with Lion? Does everything work on it?
The only thing different for El Capitan is a modified boot.efi in two locations and a system plist file with viable motherboad IDs. It should have no impact on USB.
I have seen BTLE go awry between OS versions on all my Mac Pros, but a reboot fixes that and it does not effect USB devices.
Are your keyboard and mouse standard Apple? Are they plugged in directly or via hub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.