Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmbplagannoyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
I've recently purchased a rMBP 13", 16gb ram, 256 ssd, 2.7ghz, and I love this thing. But, the lag I am experiencing navigating the UI, scrolling pdfs in Safari, opening and closing windows, well it is a little unexpected given everything I always hear about OS X and MacBooks and the 1500 price tag. I'm considering going to the MBA or a windows computer just so I don't have to deal with this lag. I see comments all over about El Capitan fixing these issues but by the time it comes out, I will be past the return period.

So, can the people that have been using the public release comment a bit more on the lag decrease? I know this question has been exhausted but it's just hard for me to justify having this great laptop that doesn't seem to function properly.

Lowe Lilliehorn

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
I've recently purchased a rMBP 13", 16gb ram, 256 ssd, 2.7ghz, and I love this thing. But, the lag I am experiencing navigating the UI, scrolling pdfs in Safari, opening and closing windows, well it is a little unexpected given everything I always hear about OS X and MacBooks and the 1500 price tag. I'm considering going to the MBA or a windows computer just so I don't have to deal with this lag. I see comments all over about El Capitan fixing these issues but by the time it comes out, I will be past the return period.

So, can the people that have been using the public release comment a bit more on the lag decrease? I know this question has been exhausted but it's just hard for me to justify having this great laptop that doesn't seem to function properly.
Well, if your mac doesn't run properly try reinstall OS X, or just repair permission in OS X Yosemite..

OS X El Capitan is great! I have a Mac Mini 2015 16 gb, 500 HDD, its SUPER fast with El Capitan... Personally I had every single OS X in the history, but I gotta say, this is absolutely my favorite! Fast, cool, cool UI, well everything....

But remember, it's still a first PB and 3rd DP.... I recommend OS X El Cap much, but if you wanna wait, do it...
"Tiny" bug on El Cap, but there fine soon...

If your computer doesn't work so well, do a fresh install of it, then upgrade!

Recap: I think you will love it!

/ Lowe

rmbplagannoyed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Thanks for the input. I have done a fresh install and it works "properly" but I have the same lag other rMBP users have which I don't think is present on mac mini. I just want to know if it is actually taken care of when considering whether I want to keep this thing.

Your response is promising though! Thanks

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I had the base model rMBP about two months ago. I gave it back for the same reason. It couldn't handle things like Google Maps or Photoshop. The lag was bad. I just don't think dual core and integrated graphics cuts it anymore. Even an iPad Air 2 performs better, which is really weird.

joethemobile

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015
I have the 2015 rMBP 13" base model and El Capitan is smoother than Yosemite on this device.

I can run outlook 2016 together with photoshop cc 2015 without issues.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
El Capitan has a lot smoother UI animations (especially mission control) than Yosemite. There are some quirks here are there, especially in Safari rendering, but I haven't experienced any deal breakers like incompatible programs or system-crashing bugs.

If you need your computer to function perfectly all the time, I would stay on Yosemite, but El Capitan is pretty stable for Public Beta 1 and I'm glad I made the upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.