Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
I've noticed a strange issue with my 10.11 DP2 test volume. I'm running it on a partition with ~130GB as part of a Samsung 1TB SSD on an OWC Mount Pro at SATA II, in my cMP 5,1.

2 days ago I also installed OSX 5.0 Server 15S2157i Beta2 for a test, with only filesharing activated. The whole installation with some apps and prefs migrated from a TM backup of Yosemite is around 40GB (I did a full TM backup of this El Cap partition yesterday), so ~80GB were free.

This morning when I woke up the machine from sleep I saw a warning message "disk is full" and indeed, only 40MB left. Thought it might be temporary stuff like cache files but a reboot didn't help, although everything is still working. I've shutdown all open apps and started from another drive (have plenty systems available in bootscreen, Yosemite, Mavericks, even SnowLeo) and downloaded OmniDiskSweeper. It immediately detected two places w/ 80GB full of logfiles, see screenies attached, in

- private/var/log/asl
- Library/Server/Logs

Screenie 1 - var:log:asl.png Screenie 2 - Library:Server:Log.png
Any ideas what could cause this? I could delete them but what if El Cap starts filling the partition again, so how to stop this?

Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Trashed most of it except for some examples, and booted back to El Cap. Looks like aslmanager is the culprit. It creates new files every 10 seconds..

*sigh* some research is in order.

Reactions: !!!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.