Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rock69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I have a Macbook Pro 2010 13 inches, and I had Yosemite installed. I decided to download El Capitan from the Apple Store and then proceeded to the installation, which was gonna take 30 minutes.

My charger or my charger cord has been showing weird issues: sometimes when plugged, if I touch the cord, even gently, my mac shuts down. And that's what happened in the middle of the installation.

When I turned it on again it gave me the option to continue the installation, which was at 24 minutes. However, after about 5 minutes, it tells me it cannot go on with the install.

I tried everything I can on Disk Utility but nothing works. I can't continue the installation and I can't access my HD, even though on Utility the data is still all there, although I know that the HD might have been corrupted permanently.

Any advice? Oh and I do not have the Yosemite or El Capitan dvd.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Time for a new MagSafe. Will save you a lot of headaches (like the one you're having right now).

In your post above, did you say that you can get Disk Utility to run?
From the recovery partition, I assume?
Is this correct?

If nothing else works, try this:
- connect an EXTERNAL drive
- boot to recovery partition or internet recovery (as you were doing to get Disk Utility running)
- aim DU at your EXTERNAL drive and initialize it
- now, try to install a clean copy of El Capitan on the EXTERNAL drive.

Does this work?
Can you get "up and running" again (to the finder) from the external drive?

Note:to boot from the external, press the power-on button and hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
Then select the external drive with the pointer and hit return.

Something to try on your VERY FIRST BOOT from the external:
- go through the initial setup steps
- at the appropriate time, the "setup assistant" will ask if you wish to "migrate" data from another drive
- select the internal drive, and see what happens.
- even though it won't boot, could there be a chance that setup assistant will still be able to reach the (non-OS related) data on the drive? (your accounts, apps, data, settings)

I suggest you give this approach a try, and see what happens....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.