Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamlovesandrea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
I've got a real head scratcher (for me, anyways) with the El Captain update. I've had this update for well over a year, and have had this issue appear on multiple Macbooks so I know it's not just my machine. Ever since I have updated to El Captain, the sidebar in Finder that has your saved folders (iCloud drive, desktop, downloads, other saved folders, etc.) goes missing after a while without restarting. And in just the Finder application itself, they appear just fine. However if I use an external app like Chrome or Photoshop to open a file, when the finder window appears, it only shows Devices and Media on the side. It's not a preference, because I try to move things back to the sidebar, and they disappear regardless. Every forum that I've tried to search for has no answer or solution to this problem; and by now, Apple has had to do something about it.

A simple restart fixes the trick, however I often have a lot of open work in Chrome and editing apps that I hate to exit out of when I do restart. So roughly I restart every two weeks or so (sometimes more often if I can't handle the finder sidebar disappearing). I've finally gotten fed up, and have decided to see if I could find any help on here with this persistent annoying issue. I rely on those folders for shortcuts when I open files, and having them disappear is aggravating.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 11.43.41 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.